Kate's Reviews > Rilla of Ingleside

Rilla of Ingleside by L.M. Montgomery

Mar 19, 11

bookshelves: classics, history, j, ya
Read in March, 2011

This review is specifically for the new 2010 Penguin Canada edition 978-0-670-06519-6 with an intro and glossary and the inclusion of the text that has been missing in editions published since the mid-seventies. Benjamin LeFebvre and Andrea McKenzie have added some great background about WWI in Canada, the place of this particular book in WWI literature, and notes about many of the literary references. And that's great. But even better is reading the missing text. I was expecting that what was edited away in the 70s were diatribes about patriotism or politics or something - but the text that is restored is primarily the ends of conversations - poor Susan has always seemed a weaker character in RofI to me, and now I know that is because most of the lost text was her more intelligent conversation and observations about the war. All the restored text laid out wouldn't seem too important - but when it is restored where it belongs, it subtly changes all the characters and places the focus of the book firmly on the War and what it was like for those at home. Even Rilla seems more real than in the edition I've been reading my whole life. It seems the abridgement undertaken by American Reprint Company in 1976 (and picked up by Bantam Seal in the paperbacks since) must have been trying to fit the book under a certain amount of words or pages, because it certainly doesn't seem to have had any other purpose.
Worth re-reading.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rilla of Ingleside.