Mrs. Badass's Reviews > The Girl in the Steel Corset

The Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady Cross

Apr 04, 11

bookshelves: action-adventure, kindle, may-2011, steam-punk, arc-s
Read from April 02 to 03, 2011

3.5/5 (I downgraded after thinking about this novel some more)
This book was totally cool, interesting and compelling. The steam punk aspects were fantastic, integrated well, and weren't trite.

However, there were a lot of inconsistencies. Historical inconsistencies and character interaction inconsistencies. One such example would be Finley running around town (1800's) alone and unchaperoned wearing pants and riding a motorcycle like object, sparring with a shirtless man, but when Griff shows her his tattoo, and wants to tattoo her she is all a flutter about impropriety and indecency!

One of my qualms? No romance. Not even a kiss between our Hero or Heroine. They did think about kissing though, so I guess that counts =)

Also, the characters were all in their teens and I think Griff may have been 20, but they all talked really old. I don't think we are told Finley's age either. That bugs me now.

However, I don't think this novel has exactly ONE hero or ONE heroine. All the characters were pretty darn fantastic! A metal man, a genius, a dual natured ass kicking chic, a telepath, and an aether wielder = AWESOME!

So, if you are a fan of steam punk and YA, put this on your buy list!
If you are a fan of awesome characters who remind you of X-men, the League of Extraordinary Gentleman and the Wild, Wild West, then put this on your buy list!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl in the Steel Corset.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Smith Hi there. As the author of this book, I wondered if I should comment. The historical inconsistencies you've mentioned don't really apply in my world, as it is a Steampunk and it's a different world. If you read this as a straight Victorian, you will be disappointed. As for Finley, she's two different people in this first book, and so her character is consistent in her inconsistency. That said, I appreciate you taking the time to read and review my book!