Sherwood Smith's Reviews > Carter Beats the Devil

Carter Beats the Devil by Glen David Gold

162084
Mar 19, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy

This book was a pleasure to read, except perhaps for the (to me) far too extended torture of the climax. But by then, of course, one cannot stop reading, for one cares desperately about the characters, including the animals. Gold's Carter is so good-hearted, something all too rarely encountered in too much of today's fiction. The characters are vivid, the structure quite interesting, the times well depicted (with only one or two tiny falters, the main one being the tiresomely ubiquitous "It's about X," and some cliches that I'd expect a writer of Gold's caliber not to resort to, like faces falling, a chill going down someone's spine, and some eyes flashing and flaring, but these were quite rare). Outside of those, Gold does a wonderful job with the wild times, and shows how rapid change made anything seem possible, but was scary too…something we certainly can relate to today.

I do think the relationship with Borax could have been a tad clearer, but again a small creeb. It sure kept me turning the pages.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carter Beats the Devil.