Cafelilybookreviews's Reviews > Love Amid The Ashes

Love Amid The Ashes by Mesu Andrews

Mar 19, 2011

Love Amid The Ashes makes the story of Job come to life! Biblical fiction is one of my favorite genres and I’ve read many books about various characters in the Bible but I don’t remember ever reading a story centered around Job. The meticulous research and hard work of the author shines through in this captivating tale of romance and tragedy and makes this an easy book to read.

Love Amid The Ashes was not only interesting and thought provoking, but very emotional as well. At times, I found it difficult to read, especially some of the more graphic details of Job's physical suffering. If you are not familiar with the story of Job, I would suggest reading the biblical account first and then reading this book.

Although this is a fictional account it helped the story of Job became clearer and I was able to relate better to the characters having known some of the scriptural background. Readers cannot help but grieve for Job and what he endures; the depth with which Mesu Andrews writes about his suffering and loss made me think harder about this character.

If you think you know the age old story of Job well, this book puts new perspective on what Job may have endured and the complexities of his suffering. As a woman who suffers with chronic illness, Mesu was able to write a book about suffering and truly understand what Job may have been thinking and feeling, as he dealt with physical, mental and emotional pain. I also like how Mesu was able to connect Job to members of Jacob & Esau's tribes and create a complex cast of characters while keeping the plot easy to follow.

Love Amid The Ashes is Mesu’s debut novel and I can’t wait to read more of her books in the future. In the front of the book there is a family tree where the author clearly notes which characters are fictional and at the end of the book, the author includes a note which describes her research for this story. For history lovers, this information is helpful and may encourage further reading about the life of these characters.

“Available March 2011 at your favorite bookseller from Revell,
a division of Baker Publishing Group.”

This book was provided free for review by Revell
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Amid The Ashes.