Tia Bach's Reviews > The Blue Virgin

The Blue Virgin by Marni Graff

4197216
Jun 02, 11

Read from March 19 to June 02, 2011

The Blue Virgin is the first of M. K. Graff’s Nora Tierney mysteries (and a little birdie told me she has written a second one due out late 2011 or early 2012). I was hooked from the beginning. Nora Tierney is an American in Oxford sorting out her life. She’s pregnant and recently lost her fiancé, who she’s not sure she even loved, in a plane crash. When her dear friend Val Rogan is suspected of killing her lover, Nora jumps head first into the investigation.

The mysterious death of Bryn Wallace grabs you from the first page. I suspected many characters thanks to Graff’s twists and turns, and I didn’t guess the true killer until near the end, and even then I wasn't sure. Detective Inspector Declan Barnes heads the investigation and leans toward Val in the beginning but has nagging feelings. And although Nora is closely guarded by friend and want-to-be lover, Simon, there’s a pull toward the detective as well. I’m hoping we meet Nora’s baby and find out more about her love life in Book 2.

Graff does an excellent job maintaining a tight pace; she pulls the reader from page to page while also focusing on character development. You care about these people. After all, what’s a good story if the characters aren’t compelling? And it’s a good who-done-it to boot.
I really don’t want to give too much away, but I recommend all mystery-lovers buy The Blue Virgin. You won’t be sorry you did!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blue Virgin.