Vaughn's Reviews > The Discipline of Grace: God's Role and Our Role in the Pursuit of Holiness

The Discipline of Grace by Jerry Bridges

Apr 08, 11

Read from March 19 to April 07, 2011

Dependence and Responsibility. This book attempts to find a Biblical basis for understanding our responsibilities in the pursuit of holiness. In particular, the book delves into what our role is, versus what God's role is, and then expanding upon not only what we should be doing, but what the proper approach and attitude should be in order for our efforts to be God-honoring.

This is a difficult area. As Bridges properly points out, teachings on personal holiness range from a 'God is in control so don't worry about your own conduct' approach to a legalistic rules and regulations approach that on a practical level leaves holiness entirely up to the individual.

Bridges spurns both approaches in favor of an approach that emphasizes that God is indeed in control and His grace is the ingredient that empowers our efforts to become more holy. At every point, Bridges points out the importance of the Gospel of Christ as the grace that empowers.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Discipline of Grace.