Norma's Reviews > Mexican Heat

1913550
Mar 20, 11

bookshelves: kindle-ebook, m-m, romantic-suspense, read-2011
Read from March 19 to 20, 2011

3.5 stars. This was a fast-paced, action-packed story. I felt like I was in the middle of some James Bond movie. Loved the pacing and once drawn in, I hated having to put the book down. I fell in love with Ortega from the moment we spotted him across a crowded club. He is an amazing, multi-layered character. Gabriel on the other hand, didn't quite win my heart. I didn't dislike him. The authors told us he had this tough outter shell as a defense mechanism. But I felt like I had to take the authors' word for it. I didn't see it. Because of that, Gabriel often came across as childish and immature. There's no other reason for a person to be just mean to someone they care about. And that's how I often felt. It wasn't enough to deter me from reading, or from rooting for him. It just made me want to smack him occasionally. ;)

****Spoilerish****

Ok, the thing that happened. I didn't buy it at all. How come nobody else was affected by the bad thing that was in the product? And Malria drug? Really? And that would cause the bad thing that happened? It didn't work for me at all. It's what brought the story down to 3.5 stars for me. It felt like a plot device. Gabriel was too hard to accept the attentions and affections of the other. I felt like this plot device was needed to soften and weaken him. I kind of resented that. I would rather have seen the hardened shell around his heart soften because of love--much like what happened to D in Zero at the Bone. I felt like we needed this to get passed Gabriel's childishness. I kind of think it would have worked better if Gabriel were left paralized. He was shot in the back after all. That would have flowed with the story. But the thing that happened (won't say what it is just in case) felt so out of the blue for me. It kind of took me out of the story.

***end of spoilerish discussion***

Over all, if Ms. Baumbach decides to continue with the series, I will follow it. I'll be interested to see where these men go now--in a normal setting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mexican Heat.

03/19/2011
33.0% "I'm enjoying it, but I just can't find time to sit and read. This is the kind of book you need to read without interruption." 9 comments