Cassi aka Snow White Haggard's Reviews > Ball Don't Lie

Ball Don't Lie by Matt de la Pena

Mar 26, 11

bookshelves: ya, read-in-2011, kindle, favorites, sports
Read from March 20 to 26, 2011

It's somewhere between 4-5 stars. Let's say 4.5 just to pick a number.

Everybody talks about looking for YA books that are boy friendly. People talk about it like it's a mythical creature. Well let me tell you I have found the magical leopluradon. Or I've found an excellent book for boys.

I love basketball. I read this book to compliment all my basketball watching during the month of March. I needed a book I could get excited about, something that could pull my attention away from the NCAA tournament. I realize this is probably not a problem most readers have. But I love basketball.

And let me tell you the main reason why I love basketball--the stories. Sports are not just muscular men bashing into each other. Sports stars are kids who grow up chasing a dream. Sometimes they're rich and white (ala Duke) but sometimes they're poor and basketball is their only shot at making something of their life (See Eric Bledsoe). Sometimes there's a player who everyone thinks should be cut, everyone complains about then he suddenly blossoms with talent. There's a reason there are so many sports movies. Sports have some of the best storylines.

Basketball is about heart and hustle, working hard to make something of your life. Sticky encompasses all those things. A foster kid who has been passed around between homes, always returned because somebody doesn't see his value. Basketball gives him value--something he's good at, something he can excel at. Sticky has a lot of heart and he devotes his life to improving his basketball skills.

This book has an excellent voice. Sticky lives a rough and tumble kind of life. He uses slang, improper grammar but the author never overdoes it. Sticky is believable and relatable and never slips into a stereotype. The use of italics rather than quotations bothered me at first, but it was a stylistic choice that I got used to it. The book does use basketball slang but I don't think you have to know that much about basketball to read the book. Probably helps if you watch some games, but it doesn't require D1 playing talent to read (for the record I'm 5 ft tall I watch basketball. I've never played it).

If you hate sports this book probably isn't for you. If you like sports then I say it's worth trying. If you can't get enough basketball like me then it's a must read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ball Don't Lie.

03/20/2011
10.0% "So far I'm enjoying it. I don't really like how they do dialogue in italics though. Nothing wrong with the dialogue itself I just don't understand why they don't just use quotation marks like everyone else."
03/23/2011
55.0% "Writer knows his basketball! List Kentucky when talking about basketball schools. Honestly want to kiss the book right now for that! Go UK!"