Lady Jane's Reviews > The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness

The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander

Mar 19, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in March, 2011

The content of this book is so disturbing that I had to take a break from reading it for a week or so. I am still trying to absorb and synthesize the information. I will return later to re-read the last chapter. It is a powerful read, well worth the time and emotional energy.
I live in a city where I can bike a few miles, cross a few neighborhoods and see the divides between the rich, middle-class and poor. I live in a city with a stop-and-frisk policy that unfairly targets African-Americans. I live in a city where ex-offenders struggle with re-entry and probation. I live in a city that is a microcosm of America.
I want to live in a country that embraces all of its citizens, accepts people for who they are and helps people who need support. I want to live in a society that does not judge, condemn and blame, but supports, educates and encourages. I want the color of my skin to matter in a positive way: I am who I am because of my ancestry, my upbringing, my education and my life experiences. This is true for all Americans and we should be able to proudly display our differences.
I do not want to live in the highly-disturbing world described in this book because it is so far from the ideals of America as a nation of possibility. I know, however, that I do live in the America of this book and that I can not change it alone. I need help from my country.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The New Jim Crow.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Sirotkin You should definitely finish the book, there's so much startling data!!

message 2: by Diana (new) - added it

Diana Lowe I feel the same way. I had to put the book down for a while because it is so depressing/disturbing, and I feel so helpless to do anything about it.