Lady Jane's Reviews > The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness

The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander

Mar 19, 2011

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in March, 2011

The content of this book is so disturbing that I had to take a break from reading it for a week or so. I am still trying to absorb and synthesize the information. I will return later to re-read the last chapter. It is a powerful read, well worth the time and emotional energy.
I live in a city where I can bike a few miles, cross a few neighborhoods and see the divides between the rich, middle-class and poor. I live in a city with a stop-and-frisk policy that unfairly targets African-Americans. I live in a city where ex-offenders struggle with re-entry and probation. I live in a city that is a microcosm of America.
I want to live in a country that embraces all of its citizens, accepts people for who they are and helps people who need support. I want to live in a society that does not judge, condemn and blame, but supports, educates and encourages. I want the color of my skin to matter in a positive way: I am who I am because of my ancestry, my upbringing, my education and my life experiences. This is true for all Americans and we should be able to proudly display our differences.
I do not want to live in the highly-disturbing world described in this book because it is so far from the ideals of America as a nation of possibility. I know, however, that I do live in the America of this book and that I can not change it alone. I need help from my country.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The New Jim Crow.

02/17/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Sirotkin You should definitely finish the book, there's so much startling data!!

message 2: by Diana (new) - added it

Diana Lowe I feel the same way. I had to put the book down for a while because it is so depressing/disturbing, and I feel so helpless to do anything about it.

message 3: by Tony (new) - added it

Tony Hynes "i need help from my country" as do we all. Knowledge is power. This book is an example of that power. It is up to us to educate each other so that knowledge will be passed down to our children. I really hope they find better solutions than we did.