Danny's Reviews > The Year of the Hare

The Year of the Hare by Arto Paasilinna

Mar 19, 11

bookshelves: library-book

Translated from the work of the Finnish author, I picked up this book as a short book intermission that looked fun. The basic idea is a reporter in Finland is in a car that hits a young hare, he gets out to help the hare and decides to leave his life behind and wander the countryside with his rabbity friend.

It was fun sometimes, in the way that any novel about someone leaving behind life and successfully vagabonding around with no responsibilities or cares will be fun. But it wasn't as comical or magical as I was expecting, and halfway through I was already disappointed.

But the exploration of freedom to do whatever one wishes is interesting at times, and it ends on a note of meaningful magical realism, so that's something. Human spirit, indomitable, all that jazz.

Also, the gender relations are a little bit sitcommy for my taste. Women are either for sex or for nagging or for unreasonable demands. So that's problematic for enjoyment as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year of the Hare.