Ben's Reviews > May Day

May Day by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Mar 19, 2011

bookshelves: american-lit, short-stories

F. Scott Fitzgerald has arrived, folks. And I don't think he has any intention of leaving. "May Day" was superb in just about every way a literary piece should be; beautiful language, clear tone and effective yet concise character development. At times, I thought it would make a good stage presentation; with the intermingling of characters who didn't always have the same level of relations with one another but were caught together in a web by hidden links. Each character presented a particular attitude reflecting the current social climate of an ended war; an event of such magnitude that would effect even the most passive of people. But what I found most interesting, again, was Fitzgerald's seemingly hopeless tone. Hopeless of what? In "May Day", Mr In and Mr. Out are inseparable - not only inseparable but indistinguishable. The greatest war of the time had been won and what was going to change? Whose lives were going to be better? Was the dawning of the second of May any better than the deepest night on May 1st?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read May Day.