Jesse Field's Reviews > Promethea, Vol. 5

Promethea, Vol. 5 by Alan Moore

"I - I hadn't realized this would be so intimate, so personal. We're all behaving so oddly, everything's so near the surface..."

Sophie's sentimentality grows less annoying in this finale, when friends and family all take the stage for a collective trip. It's endearing to anyone who has gathered with close friends and loved ones to share catalytic compounds ("drugs" is the right word, of course, but too clinical for such a context).

"Pentagon studies in the 1980s demonstrated that comic strip narrative is still the best way of conveying understandable and retainable information," says a lecturing Moore in his final issue, which is an illustrated annotated bibliography of consciousness studies. Such discursive sections beg comparison with David Brooks' ambitious new work for 2011, The Social Animal: A Story of Love Character and Achievement, which is also a narrative-based tour through the burgeoning field of consciousness studies. And Brooks took up his project, as he says, to understand how to improve education for America's middle- and high-school students. Brooks speaks to the adults with realist character design; Moore speaks to children with comics. What a remarkable pairing! What a vision for what a teacher like myself might do with her life in the coming years!

Thanks to Moore for a moving, inspiring, and trippy vision. And thanks SO much to JPF for introducing it to me. There is much to consider, digest, re-read, and begin writing. Here's to summer 2011.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Promethea, Vol. 5.