Tina's Reviews > Wither

1420355
May 08, 11

bookshelves: ya-fiction
Read from May 06 to 07, 2011

3.5 stars - I walked away thinking ... this is definitely a 4 star book, I didn't want to put this down. But then I did the breakdown, and well, it didn't exactly add up to 4 stars. The book as a whole was average. But the dark creepiness was what kept me reading.

Yeahs ::

* I don't know how the author did it, but she was able to get me to feel Rhine's emotions. There were times I felt so much sympathy for Linden. Times I hated him. Then I'd go back to feeling sorry for him and slightly attracted to him. While other times I was creeped out and disgusted. It was a roller coaster of creepiness.

Nays ::

* The biggest problem - the setting takes place at a creepy mansion. Not ghostly creepy but crazy mad scientist in the basement creepy. And polygamy with minors creepy. By the end of the book I couldn't wait to get out of that house. I was starting to feel claustrophobic. Another example of DeStefano getting me to connect so strongly with Rhine.

* A slight spoiler, (view spoiler)

* There is a mild love interest for Rhine. It's a small sub-plot. It could have been left out. Their was more sizzle between Rhine and Linden (her kidnapper, excuse me, I mean husband), then Rhine and Gabriel (love interest).

Plot 3 stars
Action : Romance Ratio 90:10
Ending 3 stars.
Good enough to pick up again 3 stars
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wither.