Julia's Reviews > The Jewel of St. Petersburg

The Jewel of St. Petersburg by Kate Furnivall

Mar 19, 2011

Read in March, 2011

I really wished Kate Furnivall had written this first instead of The Russian Concubine. Having read that book first, I had no sympathy for Valentina at all. Granted I sort of understood why she did what she did in that book but did not sympathize with her at all, she just seemed to be a gold digger but really she did what she did not just for herself but for her daughter Lydia. To ensure their survival in the only way she knew how, by using her looks and beauty.

Having finally read this book, I now understand how strong Valentina started out but after losing pretty much the life she knew in Russia and her husband, I can see why she was an empty shell in the Russian Concubine. I realized then why she did the things she did in The Russian Concubine now. Even more to the point that Lydia follows in the same stubborn footsteps as her mother. Like Valentina, Lydia loves and loves strongly, even when it seems all wrong.

Read this one first, then read The Russian Concubine but be gentle and try not to judge Valentina too harshly. Then read The Girl from Junchow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Jewel of St. Petersburg.