Tina's Reviews > The Infernal Desire Machines of Doctor Hoffman

The Infernal Desire Machines of Doctor Hoffman by Angela Carter

Apr 05, 11

Read from March 23 to April 04, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I was both excited and terrified to read this book - I love subversive literature, but I'm not fond of reading about sexual assaults. I knew going in, from others who have read her work, that rape was a common occurrence in her books, so I simply braced myself. It wasn't as bad as I thought, because the surreality of the book lessened the visceral brutality of the assaults. As for the rest of the story, I was wavered between being really interested and pretty bored. I found the narrator rather tedious, though he professed to being such from the first page, and there weren't too many other characters that I really liked - as I said before, everything was so bizarre that it was hard to trust any of the characters to be who they claimed to be at the offset. I was disappointed with the ending but also amused with it, simply because Desiderio agrees that the climax is pretty anti-climatic. I doubt I'd read the book again, but it was a good intro to Carter's work, I suppose.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Infernal Desire Machines of Doctor Hoffman.