Catherine's Reviews > Exit the Actress

Exit the Actress by Priya Parmar

Mar 30, 11

bookshelves: fiction-vixen-reviews, first-reads-arcs-won-a-copy, historical, prostitute-courtesan, dnf, class-difference, england, read-2011
Read from March 22 to 30, 2011 — I own a copy

*DNF*

I made it to page 156 and finally gave up. I couldn't get into the format. It sounded really interesting in theory, but the actual execution didn't do it for me. It felt too scattered to tell a consistent story. It was like the Twitter version of Nell Gwynn's life. Not really my style.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Exit the Actress.

03/22/2011 page 24
5.0% "Hmmm... This format is really hard to get into. Also, Nell and her family seem much different than in the other book I just read about her. I wonder which one is more similar to life." 3 comments
03/22/2011 page 75
17.0% "I've finally gotten into the style of the book. Even though I'm getting the picture of her life (it helps that I've read about her previously), the delivery makes it feel really jerky and sparse. It's interesting, but it's not really what I look for when I browse for a book in historical fiction." 3 comments
03/29/2011 page 122
27.0% "It's like pulling teeth to read this. :(" 6 comments
03/30/2011 page 156
35.0% "

"Cook just told me: the cart stopped at the Griffin house, four doors down. So close! Both children were taken. Two little girls: Clemence, eight, and Polly, eleven. The parents are quarantined for a further thirty-six days and cannot attend the funeral. God help them. God help us all."

-Referencing the plague."

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead hmmm.. did Real Life interfere with reading the book or did you just not like it enough to continue at the moment?

Catherine I actually got a shipment of books I was excited to read and put this one on temporary hold. I'm back it today though.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Catherine wrote: "I actually got a shipment of books I was excited to read and put this one on temporary hold. I'm back it today though."

hmmm.... It's weird since other reviews are glowing about this book but everytime I start it, the diary type of entries annoys me. So, I'm basically waiting for you to finish it and see what you think. No pressure or anything. :)

Catherine That's kind of what made me able to pull myself away from it. I hope I like it more soon.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Sorry you are still struggling with this one. I'm the same way, I don't even get beyond page 10 before I set it back down. :(

Catherine I thought I'd like this one even more because I've read about her before--as has been the case before--but all it's doing is pointing out huge differences in the stories and highlighting which style I like better. :\

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Catherine wrote: "I thought I'd like this one even more because I've read about her before--as has been the case before--but all it's doing is pointing out huge differences in the stories and highlighting which styl..."

That sucks!

Catherine I'm hoping it gets better soon.

message 9: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant one star? I just checked your rating system, do tell!

Catherine I suppose I should edit that to include DNFs as one star too instead of just books I want to set on fire. :) I didn't hate it, I just couldn't get into the style of it. It felt too abrupt and jerky.

message 11: by Juliana (new)

Juliana "It was like the Twitter version of Nell Gwynn's life. Not really my style."

LOLOL!

Catherine Juliana wrote: "LOLOL!"

^_^