Librarysteph's Reviews > The Guild

The Guild by Felicia Day

Mar 18, 11

bookshelves: contemporary, graphic-novels, books-for-gamers
Recommended for: gamers, girls, guild fans, fans of MMORPG, felicia day fans
Read on March 18, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I think I've mentioned my love of Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog before on the blog. Whenever I mentioned this, or purchase something related to it (like the comics) people suggested I check out The Guild. This partly because Felicia Day who played Penny is the writer/actress, partly because it's another web-based video series, and partly because it's awesome geekyness that Dr. Horrible nerds are likely to appreciate.

I watched 4 seasons of The Guild in 2 days (the episodes are REALLY short) and loved it so much that I immediately ordered the graphic novel, which is what I'm really here to talk about.

This graphic novel is perfect for anyone who fits in one or more of these categories:

gamers (gamer girls will love it the most, but it's not exclusively feminine)
anyone who knows people who play MMORPGs and/or knows enough about them to get jokes relating to them
neurotic people with social issues
fans of The Guild (obviously)
Felicia Day groupies
I enjoyed seeing Codex as a newb! I've tried a couple free MMORPGs, and honestly I've never gotten past the newb stage. In the LOTR MMORPG I got slaughtered by bears so often I just quit (I also had the bad habit of jumping off cliffs that were higher than I realized and breaking my legs) so I sympathised with her during her first few adventures in the game.

Marveling at the cuteness of the cartoon animals and then reluctantly slaughtering them for quests was a very girly reaction to this type of game that I shared, so her reactions felt real to me.

I like that it's half real life view and half in-game views. It makes for some amazing visuals, although very cleavage heavy as these things often are. The boys comment about how rare it is for the girls to be girls in the game to be girls in real life. One thing I thought the graphic novel was missing was characters who made their avatars very different from their physical selves. I know in the show one male character has female avatars but I'd be interested in more about people reinvent themselves in the game. The section when she's considering this before making her avatar is one of my favourite parts.

I'm glad I bought it, I really enjoyed the writing (Felicia Day is my new hero) and the art (yay Jim Rugg). With things like this I'm tempted to get two copies, one to keep as a book and one to cut images out of and make crafts (ya I'm that cool, stay tuned this week for a post about all the star wars jewelry I'm making).

This book is aimed more at ages 18-35 but I can see teens enjoying it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Guild.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Wonderkell Oh I love Doc H too!! In fact I am directing a staged version in November. I'm not positive, but I think it may be the Australian premiere (at least legally lol).