Nicole's Reviews > Blood & Flowers

Blood & Flowers by Penny Blubaugh

Jan 20, 12

bookshelves: ya-fantasy

I was pleasantly surprised by Blood and Flowers. It was one of those books that I have sitting on my shelf for ages. The cover scares the crap out of me so I always procrastinated picking it up, but I did love the summary.

I'm glad I got around to reading it. (Don't let the cover fool you - there's no weird frost bitten pollinated nymphs in the story. Or at least, I didn't see any.) It's a fun romp of a tale that sucks you in and doesn't let you go until the final page.

Even though the plot was fairly predictable - one day I will be surprised! - I absolutely loved the world and the characters. Every single character was well fleshed out and (in their own way) hilarious. I'd happily risk all the dangers of Faerie if it meant being able to hang out with them for a while.

And Faerie! And the human world that borders Faerie! I loved all the subtle ways the world of Faerie influenced the human world; it wasn't this in-your-face, "Oh, look, we have FAERIES on THIS earth!" kind of world. It was really well blended, so to speak.

I wish the plot was a bit more surprising, and that the "main" villain was a little more fleshed out - he's the only character that's not! - but besides that, it was a fun read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood & Flowers.

dateDown_arrow    newest »