Danns's Reviews > The Gunslinger

The Gunslinger by Stephen King

U 50x66
Mar 24, 11

Read from March 18 to 24, 2011

For some reason I've had it in my head for a long time that Stephen King's novels are not worth my time to read. Maybe it was the myriad of good and bad movie adaptions that have colored my opinion or maybe it was that I felt he was too mainstream horror. Whatever the case, I must say that I have yet to disappointed by any of the novels or short stories I have read by him. The Gunslinger falls suite for me.

I enjoyed this read, it was quick, but not necessarily easy to follow. That may have been because the I converted the ePub I had to mobi format to read on my Kindle and some of the formatting was off. There was a bit of jumping around making it difficult to keep track of where I was in the story's timeline. Couple that with a bunch of character names popping up and no further development of those names to any characters I felt I was missing something. It was not until the end that some of this was resolved.

As an introduction to Roland, the novel was fitting. I am eager to read more about him and his quest and the world he lives in (and those he will be venturing to). The man in black is intriguing, that he is. The fate of Jake was rather jarring in a almost non-plussed manner and left me disliking the character of Roland a bit. I wonder if he will return in a future book?

I look forward to reading more of the series as time goes on.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gunslinger.

Jonathan The man in black crossed the desert. I think you will enjoy the wild ride that is The Dark Tower... 19.

Jonathan The man in black? What man in black? Where did he go? Did-a-chik? Dad-a-Chum? There is a rose. The rose grows. I've seen the low men... out of the corner of my eye... They don't bear direct sight. I can't look at them, but I feel them... Always in a Buick... Why a Buick?