Jessie (Ageless Pages Reviews)'s Reviews > Across the Nightingale Floor

Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn

Quick thoughts:

-stilted dialogue and flat characters dominate the book

-the pseudo-Japanese aspects feel more like lazy research and lack of care especially when...

-the narrative misuses the importance and meaning of the tea service, the bowing/social hierarchy that shaped Japan, etc.

-the insertion of Christianity into even a faux-version Japan is not awesome or accurate

-awkward tense shifts from third to first for different narrators

-the narrators each sound exactly the same

-ridiculous case of "eyes meet and love blooms passionately" instalove

This book had promise but squandered nearly all of it. Kaede is wasted here. Takeo is flat and boring; their instalove is unnecessary and unbelievable. I am beyond disappointed in a series that I had been looking forward to reading. This was not a good book for me.

5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Across the Nightingale Floor.

10/07/2015 page 115
37.0% "I really like the premise and the mix of subtle magic with the almost-historical setting. Not sold on the tense shifts between POvs, though."
10/07/2015 page 210
68.0% "Okay, I really wanted to love this buuuut the pseudo-Japanese aspects feel more like lazy research and lack of care. Also, the insertion of Christianity into even a faux-Japan is not awesome."

message 1: by Nenia (new)

Nenia Campbell Ahhh! You read this too. And I see you took issue with a lot of the same things I did. :D

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) Nenia wrote: "Ahhh! You read this too. And I see you took issue with a lot of the same things I did. :D"

I am so sad I didn't check reviews on here first. I had heard in HS that this was such a good series. WHOEVER TOLD ME THAT WAS LYIIIIING.

This book was a mess.