Kathy Davie's Reviews > A Great Deliverance

4222001
Mar 18, 11

bookshelves: mystery
Read in March, 2011

First in the Inspector Lynley mystery series, A Great Deliverance is set in modern-day London and kept me riveted from the first. Here we are introduced to how Barbara Havers’ partnership with Thomas Lynley begins at Scotland yard with all her negatives laid out for our viewing. I have never come across a more obstreperous, bitchy woman while Lynley’s qualities are immediately laid out for us as his negatives are slowly unfolded throughout the story.

It’s a tentative partnership, Havers has not worked out as a partner for anyone yet and is doomed to walk the streets unless this last-chance pairing with Lynley works out. Luckily for Havers, their case takes place outside of London in rural Yorkshire where her behavior is more easily hidden.

It’s an odd case in which the daughter is found sitting next to the bodies of her headless father and a much-loved dog yet no one in the village will believe that she could have killed him. Lynley and Havers find it a hard slog discovering clues and yet, what they discover in the end is so truly horrifying. One can only wonder how often the scenario plays out throughout the world.

Incredibly strong characters throughout the story: the reasons for Roberta’s state; the relationships between William, Olivia, and Bridie; the background for the animosity between Parrish and Ezra; how Stepha fits into all this; why the priest is so important; Lady Helen Clyde’s purpose; and, the purpose behind Tessa’s shrine.

Lovely work with the dialog although I am curious as to where George will go with Havers’ anger.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Great Deliverance.