Kelly Hager's Reviews > Huntress

Huntress by Malinda Lo

Mar 19, 11

Read from March 18 to 19, 2011

This book is supposed to come out on April 5 but Amazon is selling it now. And I would suggest you buy it from them, because you really, REALLY do not want to wait to read this book.

A small band of people are heading to meet the Fairy Queen. There are weird things going on (seasons don’t change anymore, for example) and it’s believed that the queen’s invitation to meet with her is not a coincidence. The story specifically centers around two teenage girls, Taisin and Kaede, neither of whom are particularly equipped to handle a journey like this. And that’s where bravery comes in—when you are woefully ill-prepared and scared and you keep moving forward anyway.

This book reminds me of Graceling and Fire, and that’s some of the highest praise I can give. I love that Taisin and Kaede are as tough as the men in this book (and tougher than several of them). I love the setting and the magic that flows through the pages of this book. I love everything about it.

It seems like lately, there’s a trend in YA where the heroines of any given story are brave and fierce and amazing. I cannot tell you how much I love this, because now that I have a niece, I want her to read stories that will show her that she can be Mulan instead of Snow White.

This is also one of the sweetest love stories I’ve ever read. I hope there’s a sequel; I do love Kaede and Taisin. I can’t wait for my niece to read this book (which will be a while; she’s currently three months and five days old).

I cannot recommend this book highly enough.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Huntress.