Liz's Reviews > Insurgent

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

May 01, 12

Review: 5/5, but I liked Divergent just a little bit more!

I warn you now that this review will probably be incoherent and completely unstructured and just generally me rambling as I rock back and forth trying to figure out my feelings.

Insurgent was just...amazing. I mean, it was such a great continuation of Divergent. In that excellent way that only an awesome series can pull off. I have to admit, I did enjoy Divergent a bit more, so I’ve been torn over the rating of this book. In the end I gave it a 5, because even though I did like Divergent slightly more, this book was still just too good to be rated anything less.

Tris. Guys, Tris. This girl. I mean, I liked her in book one. I really did. I loved her flaws. I loved how different she was from a lot of other heroines. I loved the way she spoke her mind, I loved her bravery and her selflessness. But I think I loved her even more in Insurgent. I mean, I can’t really even explain it. In book one, Tris was still making the transition from Abnegation to Dauntless. She was still used to hiding her feelings and bottling things up. And while for the most part, that remained true in Insurgent, we got to see little trickles of emotion escape from her. I predicted after Divergent that Tris would have to face the consequences for killing Will, her own friend. And let me tell you, she did. She was consumed by guilt. It was all she thought about for the first half of the book, and I could just feel how terrible she was feeling. We saw a different side of Tris – one that was scared to admit what she’d done, one that was sick from remembering it and too afraid to even hold a gun. I felt so bad for her, and I could understand why she felt so guilty. But I also loved her for still trying to do what was required of her. After all, she was still Dauntless. Still Divergent. And she had things she had to do. She always did what she thought was right, even if it meant hurting people she loved. And that’s what made Tris a great character.

Speaking of great characters...Four. Or Tobias (though I must say, I do prefer Four :P). He was back. And things were different. Some stuff happened (awesome, awesome stuff) and the Dauntless lot started to lose their respect for him. Four was quite understandably frustrated and angry and determined to show them he was still the fearless leader they thought he was before (even if he didn’t believe that himself). On top of that, his relationship with Tris was difficult. It wasn’t sunshine and rainbows and “now we know we love each other, we can sip lemonade and be happy forever!” No, it was hard. It was rocky. They disagreed, they argued, the kissed, they talked, they disagreed some more. And I loved it. Relationships, especially ones in a dystopian world where each day could very well be your last, are not easy. And I think Tris and Four’s relationship portrayed this perfectly. They loved each other, that was easy to tell. But they struggled. They both had strong personalities. They both wanted to protect each other. Sometimes they clashed. And it seemed very realistic and believable. Sometimes it is hard to be with someone, no matter how much you love them. Sometimes things go wrong. To quote Shakespeare, “the course of true love never did run smooth”. I loved Four and Tris so much, to the point where they’ve become one of my favourite YA couples of all time. Honestly, you won’t understand the amazingness until you read this book yourself.

Plot-wise, there were a lot of surprises. Little ones, big ones, medium sized ones. So much happened in those five hundred pages! Tris did some awesome things. She also did some stupid things (one thing in particular) that made me want to pull my hair out and cry. We got to see Candor (my least favourite faction, just saying) which I loved reading about. A lot of drama occurred in Candor, as you can imagine. We also got to see the Factionless, which was one of my favourite parts, probably because what happened there was completely different to what I expected. Everything about Insurgent was just not what I imagined. Even the villains, the supposed “bad guys” were hard to work out. In Divergent, it was quite clear who the villains were, and who the good guys were. In Insurgent, the line between good and evil was blurred. It was hard to tell who was truly evil. I mean, with some people it was obvious, but with others – well, you’ll see :P. The ending though, was the true “WTF” moment for me. I had suspected something like that would happen, but oh wow. It was one hell of a cliffhanger. And left me mindboggled. Literally. I spent about an hour DMing Cait, basically flipping out and demanding that she answer my many, many questions. Looking back, I can’t help but laugh at how freaked out I was! :P.

Overall, Insurgent was a brilliant sequel to Divergent. This is definitely now one of my favourite series and I absolutely cannot wait for book three. I need more!

Pre review: If this book is anywhere near as good as Divergent was...I can't wait.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insurgent.

Quotes Liz Liked

Veronica Roth
“It reminds me why I chose Dauntless in the first place: not because they are perfect, but because they are alive. Because they are free.”

Veronica Roth
“Cruelty does not make a person dishonest, the same way bravery does not make a person kind.”

Veronica Roth
“The Candor sing the praises of the truth, but they never tell you how much it costs.”

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Perla haha me neither. Though it better not be 288 pages or else i'll flip out

message 2: by Valerie (new)

Valerie I loved it too, definately better than the hunger games, in my opinion,dont get on my case, but I was up all night reading it!

Mallory I love both series, but I think Divergent has all the ingredients to go even beyond the Hunger Games' popularity. We need to spread the word!

Abby Totally agree with your opinion on Tris and Tobias' relationship! Probably the most real couple I have ever read about =)

Ibrahim Abdirisak I agree with you 100% This book was amazing. The plot was fast paced and had me wanting to read it all night long. Tris and Four are such great characters. The author really described them in the book which made them really easy to visualize. It was truly a great book.