Janice's Reviews > The Lace Reader

Apr 11, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2011, audiobooks
Read from March 18 to April 10, 2011

I'm not sure how to review this book. It was a ride - sometimes confusing and bumpy. At other times it was mezmerising. I loved the characters. Each had unique but complex personalities.

The book begins with Towner Whitney stating that she is crazy and that she lies. She returns to Salem when she learns that her great aunt is missing. In no time, she is immersed in the confusing family dynamics that surrounded her as a child.

To me, the story is about perceptions, from the lace readings the Whitney women did to the observations of the local detective. Most of all, it centered around Towner's perceptions of her past and of the present. Interestingly enough, whenever the story was told from Towner's point of view, it was told in present tense. Whenever the story was from another character's point of view, it was in past tense. This created a sense of things being off kilter and increased the tension in the story.

The ending has a surprising, even shocking, twist. I have no doubt this story will haunt me for a long time to come.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lace Reader.