Carolyn Storer's Reviews > Dragon Bound

Dragon Bound by Thea Harrison

Mar 18, 2011

bookshelves: romance-paranormal, book-list-2012
Read from April 05 to 09, 2012

Although Dragon Bound by Thea Harrison has been out in the US for some time now, its UK release from Piatkus was 3rd of May 2012. If like me, you love a paranormal romance that has a great meaty story along side great romance and fabulously hot, sexy scenes, then you're in for a treat. Dragon Bound is just brilliant - I didn't want to put it down or for the story to end.

One thing I will add is that although I love the UK cover, I don't like the use of a brunette model, as Pia is blonde. I do hate it when covers don't match the story or characters - a big pet peeve of mine!

Pia Giovanni is half-human and half-Wyr and has been protected for most of her life by her mother. She was taught to blend in with society so nobody knows what she is. But after being blackmailed by her ex-boyfriend and stealing from Dragos Cuelebre, the most powerful Wyr dragon, her life has been turned upside down and she goes on the run. Unfortunately for her (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), she doesn't get very far and is caught by Dragos.

This is the story of their journey but also contains a little mystery as well. The world building is really great and I enjoyed being in the world of the Wyrkind. As well as the gorgeous Dragon, there are also other supernaturals such as dark and light Fae and goblins (who are horrible creatures), which gives the world a richness that was easy for me to completely immerse myself into.

Pia and Dragos are complex characters, which as a character driven reader is just heaven. Pia is strong but vulnerable, sometimes acts on impulses that get her into trouble, but I loved that about her. It made her more human. Although through her internal thoughts and her dialogue you could hear she was terrified of Dragos at first, thinking that he is going to kill her, she still has fire in her which makes you admire her. Sometimes she tells Dragos off like a little boy and it was so endearing and funny. Many times she brought a smile to my lips.

Dragos reminded me of the Beast in Beauty in the Beast. Very gruff at first and slightly confused by this beautiful woman. He doesn't know what to say or how to act, it just makes you fall in love with him, even when he's being obnoxious and difficult.

But as their relationship grows so does Dragos. Pia helps him understand and to become more patient and compassionate. To think before acting, and to say please...

Raveled around their very intense love affair a rageing war is imminent. Wyrkind has sparated from the Fae and the Fae King has a powerful dislike of Dragos which is totally mutual. There are a few twists and turns, one being Pia and Dragos captured by goblins. There is a scene where Pia is beaten terribly and it really pulls at the heart strings, especially when she's still a trooper and doesn't just curl up and wait to die but fights for life instead.

A really fabulous start to a new paranormal romance series, which I cannot wait to continue. Wonderful characters with a strong but vulnerable heroine and a sexy as hell dragon, this is a book you definitely do not want to miss!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragon Bound.

04/08/2012 page 130