Sarah W's Reviews > Diogenes

Mar 18, 11

bookshelves: picturebookparty, picture-book, historical-fiction
Read in March, 2011

pageintraining Sarah W.
I am a little concerned how to handle the picture in the afterword in an elementary setting #picturebookparty #diogenes

The dog standing on a Greek column is a lot of the reason why I selected this book. I love things that tie in history. Unlike the other dogs around him, Diogenes wanted to be his own master. The observant dog notices a mouse that doesn't seem to worry about anything. He wishes he was such a creature.

Diogenes ran off ot the city with only his dish and his walking stick. On the way he passes a sign that points the way to all sorts of different places. Somehow I don't think he found a sign that actually said Hades like this one (or that was in English).

Trying to live simply, Diogenes adopted all sorts of tricks to get him used to the experience. He starts to create quite a stir where he lives with his behavior. When he encounters Alexander the Great, all Diogenes asks for is for the man to get out of his sunlight. Not even a trip to the pound can get this furry guy down.

At the back of the book, there is a description of who Diogenes really was. He was the founder of the Cynic school of philosophy. Cynic means dog-like in ancient Greek.

I am a little concerned how to handle the picture in the afterword in an elementary setting.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Diogenes.