Laurajane Barber's Reviews > Sleeping Arrangements

Mar 20, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: chick-lit, 2011
Read from March 18 to 19, 2011

After finishing Twenties Girl the other day, I was still in the mood for some good chick-lit. Having read all of Sophie Kinsella's novels, I decided to check out her novels under her real name, Madeleine Wickham. I went for the cheapest of the Nook books, Sleeping Arrangements.

This novel lacks the sophistication and the light-heartedness of her later novels as Kinsella. The story is of two families that are vacationing at a mutual friend's Spanish villa. He "accidentally" double-booked and as it turns out, two of them had a torrid romance 15 years ago--unbeknownst to their spouses/partners. The former-lovers think it's a big joke on their friend's part.

As per usual, I could not put the book down as Wickham/Kinsella is a talented storyteller; however, the content throughout was heavier than what I was looking for. And to top it off, the heroine did not have the witty inner-dialogue that any Kinsella fan craves. That being said, I would not say it was overall a bad book; it just wasn't want I was hoping for, looking for and/or expecting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sleeping Arrangements.

03/18/2011 page 13
03/18/2011 page 13
4.0% "I need some more Sophie Kinsella!"
03/18/2011 page 92
30.0% "Much heavier than her books as Sophie Kinsella..."