Lynai's Reviews > The Virgin Suicides

The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides

May 05, 11

bookshelves: own-a-copy
Read from April 28 to May 02, 2011

What strikes me most about this book is the narrator’s voice. First person, personal pronoun, plural – WE. To me, this is very original – the very first book I’ve read which uses WE as narrator, and one of the reasons why I like this book.

Then there are the questions. Why did Cecilia kill herself? Why did the other sisters decide to follow suit? Was the suicide a suicide pact? Were the sisters mentally deranged or simply different? The Virgin Suicides, for the entire 5 chapters, leaves more questions than answers. But for all the unanswered questions, the book attempts to explain a subject the cause of which, other people, including me, cannot fully comprehend. Which is true with suicide cases in real life. Who can ever know what goes inside the mind of the person contemplating suicide? All we have are only speculations and assumptions based on previous acts or from journals left, as in this story, from Exhibits left by the girls and interviews from both the reluctant and willing witnesses, whose competency of their testimony have not truly been ascertained.

One terrific, good quality novel.

Excerpt from It's A Wonderful Bookworld.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Virgin Suicides.

04/28/2011 page 102
41.0% "Catching up with the Buddy Read with K.D> and Butterbescotch. Waaaayyy behind schedule. :("

dateDown_arrow    newest »

K.D. Absolutely Nice to see those stars, Lynai.

Thanks again for being my reading buddy for this book. What's our next one?

Lynai Ehh. Nahiya naman ako sa'yo K.D. for not being able to keep up with our sched. I'll try to post a shout out in the Reading Buddies folder when I get to read a new book. I have 3 (or 4?) other currently-reading books in my shelf! Haha.

K.D. Absolutely It is also happening to me now, Lynai! :)

message 4: by Angus (last edited Aug 05, 2012 10:18PM) (new)

Angus Oh, you've read this last year, and its staying power is very potent (I just read your tweet about being haunted again).

Lynai Angus wrote: "Oh, you've read this last year, and it's staying power is very potent (I just read your tweet about being haunted again)."

I know. And this was the time I was trying to write a (coherent) review (I still am) of more than 5 sentences. :D