Kathleen Dienne's Reviews > Friday

Friday by Robert A. Heinlein

Mar 18, 11

Asking me to pick my favorite Heinlein is like asking me to pick my favorite friend. My favorite changes depending on my feelings, my life at that moment, and probably a heap of things I don't even notice.

I loved science fiction and fantasy from an early age, but the heroes I found were almost entirely male. Females were either supporting characters or props.

Friday is tough, independent, brave, and makes things happen. She wrestles with insecurity, but it never keeps her from taking action. At the same time, she wasn't afraid of being female - she didn't long to be a man. I needed to read these things as a teenager.

The ending bugged me a little when I was a teenager, I admit. All those gifts and she decides the best use of those gifts is to... be a farm wife? Really? As an adult and a fully formed feminist, though, I say great. The point of life is to decide for yourself what is best for you, and to go out and grab it if it doesn't hurt anyone else.

The fact that Friday can speak to me at so many different points in my life, with so many different and changing needs, makes this one of my all time favorites.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Friday.