Art's Reviews > The Heart and Soul of Sex: Making the ISIS Connection

The Heart and Soul of Sex by Gina Ogden

Mar 18, 2011

Read in March, 2011

GINA BRINGS IT HOME!

There are many books for women “to get in touch with themselves.” There are more books for women on how to love themselves, and scads of books on relationships. All of them have some merit, but Dr. Gina Ogden brings it home! First, she broadens our definition of “sex” to where it is far more than “grunt-and-go, baby-making.” It becomes a part of our essence as human beings: a longing for intense emotional contact not only with our partner but also for life itself! Next, as a mechanism for self-discovery, she uses “The Isis Wheel:” a circle divided into four parts of physical, mental, spiritual and emotional leading to a center of transformation.

Isis and Osiris were “legendary” rulers of pre-dynastic Egypt. I personally think they were real people, later deified because of the miraculous power of their great love for one another, which transformed them.

My biggest problem with the book is it does not teach or show the oblivious man to recognize, respect and reclaim this wondrous power in women, even when it lies dormant. Even The Sacred Female shows only a smidgen of this power available to men. Perhaps we need an “Osiris Wheel?” But, this is a book for women.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heart and Soul of Sex.