Melanie's Reviews > Why Evolution Is True

Why Evolution Is True by Jerry A. Coyne

Mar 18, 11

Read in March, 2011

I listened to this as an audio book which was okay for me because I have a lot of prior exposure to evolutionary theory (including a graduate course on the topic) but I would not recommend the audio version for people without this background, even though it was very well read.

This book did a great job of outlining evolutionary theory in a very understandable and entertaining way. It treats the reader with intellectual respect and assumes they can follow scientific reasoning and don't need to be spoon fed. Of course, the point of this book is to convince people that evolution is true and that we don't need to rely on "god" or other mystical invocations to understand how life came to be so diverse on this planet. That is both a strength and a weakness. The weakness is that if you are not coming from a position of religious denial, this argument gets really old really fast. The strength is that the argument is so logically developed, I don't see how a rational person could not be swayed.

Having said that, a co-worker of mine, an engineer, came to me today and lamented how stupid people are because they just can't accept that an engine can't run on water and produce water as a byproduct, basically that there is not such thing as perpetual motion. He was very critical of these morons and their lack of scientific understanding and physics. And yet this same person refuses to even discuss evolution because of his religious beliefs. Look, if god can create human beings, he can come up with perpetual motion, okay? Get that stupid mote out of your own eye.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why Evolution Is True.

Kenny Bell Is that a beaver in your picture,lady?