Donna's Reviews > Bull Canyon: A Boatbuilder, a Writer and Other Wildlife

Bull Canyon by Lin Pardey

Apr 06, 11

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from March 18 to 26, 2011

If you are looking for ribald adventures and swashbuckling steamy sailors, this is not the book for you. It is a memoir, not for life at sea, but a marriage, a canyon with its characters, and building a boat. While I am not much of a seafarer, having only been sailing as many fingers as I have, I still found the content engaging, informative, and applicable to anyone's life, not just those whose passion is sailing. Pardey makes the canyon (and the boat) come alive with her descriptions of beings, both animate and not. The people and animals living in the canyon would easily recognize themselves, and the reader can also identify with both foibles and endearing qualities. Granted, I wanted to see the Pardey's take their animals with them on the boat, and I do not quite understand why they did not; of the few trips I've been on, many had pets that sailed with their boat-keepers. The photos interspersed throughout the pages added a nice counter punch to the narrative, but one thing I had difficulty with was the time line. Neither the writing nor the photos were dated, perhaps Lin was thinking it made the piece more accessible to readers in all decades, but I found it confusing to follow exactly where in time I was on any given anecdote. That being said, I recommend this to all who enjoy a good memoir, not just those who enjoy a good sloop.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bull Canyon.