Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)'s Reviews > Divergent

Aug 29, 11

bookshelves: ya, dystopian, books-read-in-2011, sent-for-review, favorites
Read from March 21, 2011 to April 08, 2012

Review originally posted at Fluttering Butterflies

Wow. I've not read a book in a long time that's been as exciting and addictive and BRILLIANT as Divergent by Veronica Roth. I've put off writing this review for a very long time for fear that I wouldn't be able to put my adoration of this book into the right words. I'm not sure there are adequate words to describe how wonderful Divergent is. Really wonderful book, one that still makes me breathless and emotional all these months after reading it. Honestly, when I first finished the book I immediately wanted to turn back to that first page and start all over again. This book is a definite keeper and I will continue recommending it for a very long time.

Not since The Hunger Games has a book blown me away right from the beginning in such a huge way. And in terms of action and emotion and romance, in terms of writing style and the story, I think I prefer Divergent over The Hunger Games. There's just something about Divergent that grabs me right from the start. It made me think and it made me feel and the story has stayed with me for such a long time. This book had a real impact on me and I'm absolutely gasping to read more in the series. I want more! I was more of Tris and Four! I want to know more about the world in which these characters reside. I want more action and adventure, I want answers. Give me more, please.

Divergent shows us a future version of Chicago in which people choose to live within five different factions which honours a specific trait. The factions include Candor (honesty), Abnegation (selflessness), Erudite (knowledge), Amity (peace) and Dauntless (courage). Our story begins with Beatrice Prior who has grown up amongst the selfless Abnegation but has also grown up admiring the brave and fearless Dauntless. So when her turn comes and she is able to choose which faction she will live with, Tris makes the difficult choice of moving away from her family and into the difficult and violent world of the Dauntless.

Things definitely aren't easy in Dauntless. At every turn Tris and the other initiates must compete against each other and themselves to prove their courage. It's brutal and unflinching the tests that Tris and the others endure and it's almost a little unbelieveable how strong of spirit and determination Tris is in order to survive.

I love the world-building that occurs here. I love the different factions and this image of a war-torn Chicago of the future. I love the characters and the difficult situations that Veronica Roth puts her characters in. She isn't afraid to make her readers squirm and be uncomfortable with the things that happen. And at the same time, there is this absolutely fantastic and tense and very emotional romantic relationship that Tris has with the mysterious (and hot!) Four.

I really have nothing but wonderful things to say about this book. Divergent without a doubt in my mind, is one of the best books I've read all year. Very exciting and romantilc and absolutely heart-stopping. Incredible book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

03/21/2011 page 288
58.0% "Oh god, I don't want to stop reading!!"