Carol's Reviews > A Tailor-Made Bride

A Tailor-Made Bride by Karen Witemeyer

Mar 18, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, historical-fiction
Read from March 18 to 21, 2011

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. The characters were richly developed with unique personalities.

The main characters are Hannah, a seamstress who impresses an elderly woman customer so much that she is willed the deed to a shop. Jericho (J.T.) who runs a lively service in the small town of Coventry, Texas in the 1880s. There are several minor characters who added much to the humor and inventiveness to this book.

This book probably classifies as a Christian historical romance. What attracted me initially was the Hannah was a very skilled seamstress just like my mother and I thoroughly enjoyed reading about the sewing terms and methods. It brought back memories of the fashions portrayed in Peterson’s magazines with bustles, ruffles, and lace. A beautiful example of the styles of the time is the beautiful traveling suit on the cover of the book.
Another memory spark came from the description of Hannah’s treadle machine. It reminded me of the one that mother used to have.

I also enjoyed learning about the exercise regimes of the time. This makes me even more interested in this period of history.

There is something for everyone in this book. There was an adventure scene that would have been great if this book was ever made into a moving. You will need to read it for yourself to learn about that.

There were some lessons in this book about beauty, vanity and love but they were so integral to the story that they seemed like the fine lace on the dresses.

I recommend this book to anyone who likes a great historical romance with the bonus of humor.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Tailor-Made Bride.

03/18/2011 page 1