Wendy Darling's Reviews > The Mind Readers

The Mind Readers by Lori Brighton

This is one of the more polished and well-written indie YAs I've read. The Mind Readers is a fast-paced, entertaining read with a likable heroine in Cameron Winters, who knows the most intimate and frightening secrets of those around her. The book moves along at a brisk pace with a plot concerning a murder mystery, a training facility for kids with supernatural powers, and the investigative society who is out to stop them.

Some of the secondary characters could have been fleshed out a little more, as well as the subplot involving the younger children. It's also a little disconcerting that there are few mentions or thoughts of Cam's previous life once she leaves her hometown for the island, though she has good reason for leaving. But the book ultimately succeeds in being a very short, fun read by a promising author new to the YA genre. There is a terrific bang of an ending in which you know something very important that the main character doesn't, and for the price of $2.99 on Amazon, this e-book is a bargain. I'm looking forward to the next installment!
34 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mind Readers.

message 1: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Looks like fun, and thanks for the heads up re: Kindle!

Wendy Darling No problem! Love those Kindle freebies. :)

message 3: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Oh thanks for the FYI. I'm going to see if B&N is offering it too. :) I'm developing a deep like for indie novels lately, so this is definitely something I'm going to look into.

Experiment BL626 Thanks for the heads-up on the freebie. =D

Wendy Darling Yeah, every once in awhile there's a good indie book out there, Arlene. This definitely could have been fleshed out a little more, but I was pretty entertained nonetheless. :)

You're welcome, Experiment!

message 6: by ♥Rachel♥ (new)

♥Rachel♥ Thanks for the info Wendy! This sounds like a lot of fun and I always love a mystery! Any romance?

Wendy Darling YES there is romance, Rachel. And it's a good one.

message 8: by ♥Rachel♥ (new)

♥Rachel♥ Sign me up then! I actually just clicked over & got it. For free!! Thanks again. :)

Wendy Darling Aw, sorry about that, Cillian. Is it on Smashwords as an epub? Or maybe if you contact the author through her website, she might be able to help you out.

And yes, I think you'd enjoy this, Rachel, so I'm glad you got it! :)

message 10: by Arlene (new)

Arlene What Cillian said. Grrrr....

message 11: by Experiment BL626 (new)

Experiment BL626 Arlene wrote: "Oh thanks for the FYI. I'm going to see if B&N is offering it too. :) I'm developing a deep like for indie novels lately, so this is definitely something I'm going to look into."

I got some recommendation if you're interested:

Open Minds (Mindjack Trilogy, #1) by Susan Kaye Quinn — if you like popcorn action such as Divergent

Psion Beta by Jacob Gowans — like Ender's Game minus the bigot author

Angelfall by Susan Ee — if you like angels as bad guys and post-apocalyptic world and kick-ass heroine all in one novel

Wendy Darling Thanks for the additional indie recs, Experiment--always good to have those prescreened. ;)

And you're welcome, Sam! I hope this one's available overseas, too.

message 13: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Nice! Thanks, Wendy! Love the free! :)

Wendy Darling Yay, I'm so glad Sam! :) The twist at the end is pretty cool.

You're welcome, Laura. Hope you enjoy!

message 15: by Celeste (new) - added it

Celeste ooh, this one looks good! and free is always fab!

message 16: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Thanks for the tip, Wendy! I love a good free Kindle read.

message 17: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Experiment wrote: "Arlene wrote: "Oh thanks for the FYI. I'm going to see if B&N is offering it too. :) I'm developing a deep like for indie novels lately, so this is definitely something I'm going to look into."

I ..."

@Experiment. Wow! Thanks for the recs. I have Angelfall in my queue but those other two sound really really good. I'm going to look for those. Thanks so much!

@Cillian.... Oh the temptation!! You know when it comes to eBooks I'm insatiable. LOL Thanks so much for the offer. :D

Heather *live on coffee and flowers* Thanks for the tip! I just went over and got it. :)

Wendy Darling Oh great, I'm glad you all were able to pick it up! It's a great little PNR. :)

message 20: by BiblioJen (new)

BiblioJen Free you say? I think I can take an investment risk of that magnitude on a new author! :-) Thanks for the heads up!

message 21: by Tanja (new)

Tanja Cheers for the heads-up! Love freebees :)

message 22: by Sally (new) - added it

Sally Another thanks for the freebie shout-out :)

Wendy Darling You're very welcome, ladies! I hope you enjoy. It's great for those occasions when you want a nice, quick read.

message 24: by Rian (new) - added it

Rian Starr Thanks for the info about the free book! Sounds like a good read.

message 25: by Rosa (new) - added it

Rosa GRRRRR is there a way to read it (the kindle version) without having a kindle? I use my iPod to read...
Me sad... :(

Wendy Darling My pleasure, Rhee! :)

And yes, of course Rosa. All you need to do is download a free Kindle app and you can read it on your computer or Smartphone. This is great for people who don't have this particular e-reader as well.

message 27: by Sue (new)

Sue Tint Thanks for the heads up Wendy,,, just got it from amazon!

message 28: by Rosa (new) - added it

Rosa Wendy Darling wrote: "My pleasure, Rhee! :)

Thank you thank you!!!

Wendy Darling Excellent! Looking forward to seeing what you think of it. :)

message 30: by Giselle (new)

Giselle I read a book with this exact cover. Cicada by Belle Whittington! How weird!

message 31: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Definitely going to check this out while it's free!

message 32: by Lexxie (new) - added it

Lexxie thanks for the tip, Wendy, I just got it for my kindle :)

Wendy Darling Great, grab it while you can!

And yeah, I've seen this same cover several times, Giselle. At least this is somewhat understandable, being self-published and all.

message 34: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Thank you for the review and the heads-up!

message 35: by Nicola (new) - added it

Nicola Thanks for the heads up, Wendy! I love when people post about the decent freebies. :)

Wendy Darling No problem! Hope you enjoy, Lindsay and Nicola. :) I think it's pretty good for a self-published book, and I hope she writes a sequel. There's a really interesting twist at the end.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh! It's free! I totally snatched it up. Thanks for the heads up and the review that went along with it.

Barbara (VampAngel) I got it too. Thanks so much for letting us know Wendy. It's always good to find a free good book.

Mel (who is deeply in love with herself) So..I just read this review.
*adds it to to-read list*
Thanks!

message 40: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin adding to to read. Thanks Wendy :-)

Wendy Darling You're all very welcome! Kindle freebies are always fun to share. :)

message 42: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Darn. I have nook (pandigital ereader) for barnes and noble and I wanted to read it but it's not on there... :(

Wendy Darling Hey Jessica, if you don't mind reading it on your computer, you can download a free Kindle app and read it that way. I linked it back in message #30 on this thread.