Tricia's Reviews > The Eyre Affair

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended for: EVERYBODY
Read from March 18 to 29, 2011 — I own a copy

Originally from I Write, therefore I am Alive

Well, I hope I’m not the last person who have read the book! I don’t know why it took me time to buy a copy but man, this book is BRILLIANT! Jasper Fforde is one heck of a good writer! I can’t even believe that publishers rejected the manuscript of the book many times (76 rejection slips, you guys!).

A speculative fiction that is set in a parallel universe, where in literary works (original manuscripts and 1st editions) are such big deal. Meet Thursday Next, a literary detective (LiteraTec) and a Crimean War veteran, who is pursuing to investigate on this criminal, who’s-name-should-not-be-spoken-because-he-could-hear-it but I’ll still tell here because I am not speaking it, who kidnapped literary characters using the Prose Portal when his demands are not met. He is named Acheron Hades. He’s pure evil and can manipulate you using your vision and thoughts. How can Thursday defeat this pure evil man and his henchmen and save Jane Eyre? READ IT, YOU GUYS.

I really don’t know what to say about this except for constantly saying that this book is BRILLIANT which I said already. Though the book is ridiculously filled with different genre—history, fantasy, classic, satire, sci-fi, mystery, poetry and romance!—which may look like nonsensical and confuse a lot of readers (*me*) but that’s only for the first few chapters. Actually, I was so engrossed with the story and it’s pack with actions and twisted events that made me not breathing and hyperventilating at the same time!

I love how Fforde incorporated and mentioned a lot of prominent literary icons in this alternative world he made and I enjoyed a lot reading it. It’s an easy read and man, it made me laugh a lot while reading. There’s this one part where Jack Schitt was trapped in Edgar Allan Poe’s ‘The Raven’.

“Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and
weary,
O’er a plan to venge myself upon that cursed Thursday
Next-
This Eyre affair, so surprising, gives my soul such loath
despising,
Here I plot my temper rising, rising from my jail of text.
“Get me out!” I said, advising, “Pluck me from this jail of
text-
or I swear I’ll wring your neck!”

The characters are so easy to like and hate! Fforde made sure that these characters will have effect on the readers like to me, I kept on saying that I hate this Jack Schitt, this Acheron Hades! And, Thursday Next which Fforde made a good job on as being a great heroine of the literary world. I want to read MORE of the Thursday Next series and yes, I can say that I really love Jasper Fforde!

The only thing I didn’t like is that Thursday Next just summarized the whole Jane Eyre story! I haven’t read it yet. Well, it’s not really her fault. :P

Anyway, I highly recommend this book especially to those literary geeks! I’m sure you’ll enjoy this as much as I did!

Book#23 for 2011

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde

Bookmarks: 5/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eyre Affair.

Quotes Tricia Liked

Jasper Fforde
“Religion isn't the cause of wars, it's the excuse.”

Jasper Fforde
“Literary detection and firearms don't really go hand in hand; pen mighter than the sword and so forth. ”

Jasper Fforde
“What is there to forgive?. . .Ignore forgive and concentrate on living. Life for you is short; far too short to allow small jealousies to infringe on the happiness which can be yours only for the briefest of times.”

03/19/2011 page 29
8.0% "Why am I only reading this now? Man, I wish I have taken interest on this book before! Started reading the first three chapters and it's so good. I'm hooked but I need to sleep. I'll devote a day for reading this one!"
03/24/2011 page 124
33.0% "Reading slowed down but I'm back! :)"
show 1 hidden update…