Naithin's Reviews > The Lies of Locke Lamora

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

Apr 11, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, flawed-characters, favorites, epic
Read from April 02 to 10, 2011, read count: 1

Given the title of the book and a bit of the blurb on the back, if I hadn't already heard otherwise from friends forging ahead and reading the title before me, I would have gone in expecting another tale along the lines of Name of the Wind / Wise Man's Fear. I would have expected to read about the making of the legend; the story behind the story of Locke Lamora vs the Reality. Then having made this connection and comparison, I would have expected to be disappointed.

I didn't get that story. Not really. But neither was I at all disappointed. This is a solid four, perhaps pushing at the edges of a five.

I suppose in some ways we do get the story behind the story told on the blurb, but this isn't one of the really developed themes of the story as it was in Patrick Rothfuss' work. You'll find none of the depth of meaning or hidden symbolism here.

Yet you will get a fantastic story. If I were to say what the main theme was, it would be vengeance. Revenge and the toll it can take. Lies is well woven story, changing between the past and the current day, chapter by chapter for the most part. To begin, I was in many ways more interested in the recounting of the past, but before long that switched around. I enjoyed both, though, and I do wish that the recounting of the past had carried on beyond the point it did. I still had more questions!

I suppose it's possible that some of those questions will be answered in later volumes. In fact, I'd be most surprised if some of the more pressing ones did not.

I had a lot of fun reading this book, but parts of it can be demanding of you. There is a lot of humour and light-heartedness to be found within Lynch's pages for all the roughness surrounding our Gentleman Bastards; but they cannot remain untouched forever precisely because there is all the roughness surrounding them.

Caught up in a plot they don't truly understand, Lynch can be rather merciless upon them, perhaps following some of George R.R. Martin's school of thought. One I personally agree with, I might add. It adds a certain intensity to the written word to actually have to truly wonder where the cards may fall for these characters you've come to enjoy.

Normally, when I am this into a series, I need to read it right through. Or at least everything that is available. Everything else on the reading list will just have to wait until I'm done. Yet after finishing Lies of Locke Lamora, I got a few pages into Red Seas Under Red Skies before realising that no, I'd actually need a break from this one.

The ending of Lies wraps that particular chapter of Locke's life fairly well, but you still may need to take a breather after it's all over. I'm not quite sure what to make of that, whether it is a thing that works in the series favour or not. I'm keen to read the next volume, but, just, perhaps after I've read something a bit lighter between. Getting started on one of the Dresden Files books oughta do the trick.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lies of Locke Lamora.

Quotes Naithin Liked

Scott Lynch
“Some day, Locke Lamora,” he said, “some day, you’re going to fuck up so magnificently, so ambitiously, so overwhelmingly that the sky will light up and the moons will spin and the gods themselves will shit comets with glee. And I just hope I’m still around to see it.”
“Oh please,” said Locke. “It’ll never happen.”
Scott Lynch, The Lies of Locke Lamora

04/02/2011 page 0
0.0% "Was originally planning on reading the second Dragon Keeper book right off the bat, but April is here and the third book in Hobb's series is not, so it can wait a bit!"
04/07/2011 page 189
35.0% "Bit of a slow reader at the moment, work over the weekend will likely hasten my progress somewhat. :P Just want to note that my slow progress in this book should not be taken for disinterest. I am actually quite enjoying it thus far!"
04/09/2011 page 432
80.0% "Goodness me. That was very well done indeed. In retrospect, I think I should have seen it coming, but still, wow."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mogsy (MMOGC) This has been on my to-read list a while too! When you get to reading it, I guess I'll follow suit so we can discuss again, loving your thoughts on the WMF thread!

Naithin MMOGC wrote: "This has been on my to-read list a while too! When you get to reading it, I guess I'll follow suit so we can discuss again, loving your thoughts on the WMF thread!"

Alright, will try give you a heads up when I plan on getting to it!

My to-read list isn't really in any sort of proper order any more. xD

Been loving your WMF discussion as well; hope others finish reading and get involved soon as well though! Always nice to have a few more perspectives.

Mogsy (MMOGC) Actually, I may be reading this earlier than I thought. This fantasy book forum I'm a part of has a book club and for the last three months they've been reading books I've already read, until April it seems. Lies of Locke Lamora is winning the poll, so it is looking pretty good that it will be the next book. I think I may want to jump in too and read it with the club :)

Naithin Shouldn't be a problem! Lemme know when you start, but I should be able to jump in with it right after Elantris if you're about to start then as well. :)

Mogsy (MMOGC) Fantasy Faction is the group I was talking about btw, I love their articles and reviews, plus they have a forum and a small but enthusiastic fantasy book club. Here's their link if you're interested!

It is looking like LoLL is going to be their book for April with the most votes!

Mogsy (MMOGC) I just saw your review! In some ways I think I kinda liked LoLL more than I did NotW or WMF...apples and oranges, I know, but perhaps I was just in the mood for something just like this!