Marcie's Reviews > Word After Word After Word

Word After Word After Word by Patricia MacLachlan

3762047
Apr 20, 11

bookshelves: writing-mentor-texts, likes-and-loves-2012-ccira, friendship, easy-chapters, books-about-books-libraries-and-wri
Recommended to Marcie by: Shelly at Bookies
Read in April, 2011 — I own a copy

Ok! I'm not a writer, but if I ever started it would be because of page 19. The author on her visit to class said "I, myself write to change my life, to make it come out the way I want it to,' she said. 'But other people write for other reasons: to see more closely what it is they are thinking about, what they may be afraid of. Sometimes writers write to solve a problem, to answer their own question All these are good reasons. And that is the most important thing I'll ever tell you. Maybe it is the most important thing you'll ever hear. Ever."

I just finished it and changed my rating to 5 stars. This really is a book written at the request of teachers, but I believe that it has the impact of an author visit without the cost. I had to run downstairs and reread What you Know First - which I am lucky enough to have autographed by Patricia and Barry Moser when they visited the Tattered Cover in 1995.

I am amazed at how Patricia MacLachlan can, with so few words, create characters that are so real. I guess her craft is in selecting just the right ones. Thanks for this gift. It made a lovely morning even better.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Word After Word After Word.