Christie's Reviews > Broken

Mar 17, 2011

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Recommended to Christie by: Teen Book Scene
Read from April 14 to 15, 2011

Michael Forward can see glimpses of the future when he looks into a persons face. These glimpses are just possible outcomes for the their life. His visions change as the course in which they are on does. He has known for several years he would have to find an orphaned infant in order to prevent the child from falling into the wrong hands and growing up to become a monster. He also knows a silver haired woman will help him. He didn’t plan on that woman being a homeless Extrahuman (think superhero) who turned to alcohol when she lost the ability to fly. Together they set out on a dangerous journey, and meet many unique characters and challenges along the way.

Broken isn’t like anything I’ve read before. I found the synopsis extremely intriguing, but being the kind of girl who isn’t really into superheroes I didn’t know what to expect. I must say I was extremely impressed and just might have to start calling myself a girl who is into superheroes. Such a great mix of characters and action. I had trouble putting this one down even when it was way past my bedtime. It is set on Earth, which seems to have been sent into upheaval when it was invaded by life from another planet. Yes, superheroes and aliens in the same book. Cool, right?

Broken is the name Silverwyng took when she realized the doctors couldn’t help her to fly again. Having spent most of her life in the Tower with other Extrahumans so much of her identity was linked to her abilities. When her abilities failed she ran, and was forced to live a life on the streets hiding from those who knew her. She is the kind of character you want to see come out on top. You can’t help but to root for her to overcome her issues. Michael is also a great character, and I adored his selfless nature. There is also many secondary characters that added so much to this great plot. This book really has so much depth and so many layers, but the action makes it a very fast paced read. I couldn’t believe how quickly I finished reading.

Broken is a real gem, and one that I can see appealing to fans of both sci-fi and dystopia genres.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken.