Terry's Reviews > Misfit

Misfit by Jon Skovron

Jul 19, 12

bookshelves: brought-to-rhs-library
Read from July 06 to 19, 2012

I'm not much of a paranormal fan. Don't have anything against them, per se, but I've only sampled a few in my days as a reader of YA. Which means I can't speak to how "Misfit" compares to its peers, but I can say that it is a good story with a strong protagonist. Skovron spends a good bit of time developing his world, or worlds: in this book we get to see Gia (our world) and Hell. Jael Thompson is an interesting protagonist, young and un-tested, but not naive or annoying.

The story cover's a few days in Jael's (pronounced 'Jail') life as she comes to understand what it means to be half-human and half-demon. There are twists and turns aplenty as she learns what of demons and people are capable. There's some gore and salty language, although never more than just enough to do what needs doing.

I didn't get lost in the story, and at times I felt like the pacing wasn't quite right. But for a fantasy romp, it was worth-while.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Misfit.

07/06/2012 page 50
13.0% "Good start; normal girl is 1/2 demon. Lots of Catholic lingo, but it seems natural."
07/10/2012 page 100
26.0% "Parents' story is good, balances against the present. Skater dude isn't as distinct as I'd like. Battle in Brooklyn was good."