Khy's Reviews > Never Sit Down in a Hoopskirt and Other Things I Learned in Southern Belle Hell

Never Sit Down in a Hoopskirt and Other Things I Learned in S... by Crickett Rumley

Jul 22, 11

Read from July 21 to 22, 2011

Being from Southern California, I find the entire idea of pageants and Southern belles and the like unbelievably strange but simultaneously fascinating. I don't understand the point of this whole belle thing, or the appeal, or why anyone would subject herself to it, but I do understand the appeal of books about the whole bizarre situation. This book in particular is a delight-- funny but not annoyingly so, sweet but not cheesy, and oh so much more.

This whole Southern belle thing is just so ridiculous that it would amuse me even in the worst books. However, this book is luckily nowhere near being a "worst book" and makes the whole belle situation a constantly amusing aspect of the story. Jane and I are full of so much similar disdain for the pageant that I couldn't help but laugh as she snarked on it and its many issues. However, the best parts of the book came when she was forced to take it seriously. Because most of the other Magnolia Maids, particularly the "leaders" Ashley and Mallory, are so into it, it's wonderful to see the two groups face off once they realize how important it is. They get into so many shenanigans that I couldn't help but love them all, especially as they bonded during their many battles.

However, this book isn't all fun and games. There are plenty of deeper issues included, however small their role may appear in comparison to other story lines. For example, the issue of racism within the pageant system is heavily acknowledged because this is the first year that one of the Maids is not white. There are also plenty of subplots involved Jane directly-- her feelings about her mother's death, which the townspeople constantly bring up; her absent father; her feelings for her childhood best friend Luke. I actually wish these story lines more involving Jane were talked about in depth more, because they were often glazed over and yet seemed to be huge deals. Most of the people they involved were rather flat and unbelievable as well because they appeared so little; I vastly preferred the Maids, whose individual story lines were handled much better.

It could have used more development in many of the smaller story lines, but I still found Never Sit Down in a Hoopskirt and Other Things I Learned in Southern Belle Hell to be wonderfully humorous and smart in dealing with big issues.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Sit Down in a Hoopskirt and Other Things I Learned in Southern Belle Hell.