Ethan's Reviews > Dawnthief

Dawnthief by James Barclay

M 50x66
Mar 17, 11

Made it to page 100 before I gave up. The writing is distractingly bad and the plotting is contrived. Within the first ten pages, a seasoned mercenary breaks rank for no reason whatsoever, resulting in the death of one of his buddies. Then the other seasoned mercenaries somehow join up ranks with the wizard who--mere minutes before--was throwing exploding fireballs at them. Huh? Then, a couple days later, an assassin waltzes in and easily murders another member of The Raven during a party. Seriously, these guys are The Best of The Best! Just ask the author. Perhaps all the good shit happened off camera.

And..."Kill, but never murder" -- really? The code that somehow sets these guys apart from the rest of the world? Give me a big fat break.

On the bright side, if this thing can be published, there's hope for suckers like me.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dawnthief.

Janelle Lanthrum Seems a bit unfair to give up on a fantasy book after only 100 pages. It is very good if you are willing to get past all the introduction that needs to happen in any fantasy.

message 2: by Ethan (last edited Jan 16, 2013 01:51PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Ethan If you don't like a book, why grind it out? Reading should be pleasurable. I've read a whole lot of really good fantasy books, and I don't want to waste my life reading stuff that I hate.

message 3: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi Agreed. So many books, so little time.

Ethan Bobbi wrote: "Agreed. So many books, so little time.
I do that too - I read a good book and think, Jesus, I'm never going to get published. Then I read a bad book and think, if this got published, I've got a shot."

Amen!