Renee's Reviews > The Priest's Graveyard

The Priest's Graveyard by Ted Dekker

2012116
Oct 27, 11

Read in October, 2011

I'm so excited. Dekker is one of my "old faithfuls", an author I know won't be disappointing 99% of the time. I preordered this months ago because it sounded so good. Anyone that knows me knows I HATE waiting for anything, so that's a big deal.

ETA: Okay, so I devoured this book. The pace and tension are excellent. Now and then I paused, unable to suspend disbelief quite as much as Dekker required for some bits, but the action kept me moving forward, and able to let those parts go.

The only major problem I have with this book is that the characterization felt weak. I felt that Renee tended to slip completely out of character now and then, beyond what would be acceptable for someone with her obvious issues. Some of her dialogue and actions just felt so off the wall that it was hard to relate to her and hard to like her. Actually, her character annoyed me. There. I said it. This is probably the biggest reason I wouldn't give this novel 5 stars. Yes, she annoyed me that much. Every time I read her name, I made up a different name in my head just so we'd have nothing in common. Yes, sometimes I'm a child.

Danny felt very similar to the protagonists in Thr3e and Bride Collector. While he had obvious differences, as a reader, I felt as though I'd followed this character before. Is that a bad thing? Not necessarily. All writers put a bit of ourselves into our characters, primarily the protagonists. I think that these particular characters reflect some of Dekker's stronger traits. Danny didn't annoy me. I liked him.

Plot? I can't help but admire Dekker's ability to weave a plot that seems so basic and yet, at the end so very layered. The ending is not what I expected. For me, personally, I found it kind of weak, but that's a personal thing and doesn't reflect the actual goodness or badness of the ending at all. I guess with all of that action, I expected...more?

Do I recommend it? Yes, very much so. The Priest's Graveyard is an entertaining, fast paced read that I guarantee will surprise you at least once in your journey.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Priest's Graveyard.

message 1: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Hi, Renee!

I've heard positive things about The Priest's Graveyard. Enjoy!

Renee Thanks, Dustin. I'm almost finished actually and it is based on a really cool premise.

message 3: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Hi! You are certainly welcome, Renee.

message 4: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Very good review, Renee. Thank you!

Renee Thank you. I try to make it a tiny bit informative. :)

message 6: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin You are welcome.:)

And it is informative, BTW. It's also interesting enough to want to read the book, someday..

Jaime I completely agree with you about the character Renee. I listened to the audio version of this book. At first I couldn't tell if I was just annoyed at the way the actor spoke or if it was the character herself. But after finishing the book, and starting the next in this series, it's definitely the character. She is one of my least favorite characters I've ever read.

Joshua I completely relate to your dislike of Renee, particularly as the book moved toward it's conclusion. Just the same In glad I checked this out. Dekker's books have been whispering to me every time I peruse the D section of my library for quite some time now. Finally diving in was a good move. If the rest of his books are this captivating it won't take me long to get through his entire body of work.

Renee I've enjoyed most of his books, but his more recent books have been disappointing. Not the same calibre as past books. I'd still read him, though. His ability to weave a twisted and unexpected plot is still undeniable.

Joshua If this book could be considered a decline of sorts I think I'm in for a treat. BoneMan's Daughters is on my nightstand at this very moment.

Renee I loved Bone Man's Daughter.