Bonnie's Reviews > Bonnie

Nov 14, 2015

it was ok
bookshelves: adult, library, mystery, 2011
Read from October 18 to 19, 2011

Interested in more of my reviews? Visit my blog!

This is the one series that I have read longer than any series, at least a decade. I read all 11 of her Eve Duncan series and when the author announced that she’d be making a final trilogy to fully resolve everything, well, I was ecstatic. The Eve Duncan series chronicles a mother losing her child and never having the closure she needed, never knowing what happened to her, her daughter Bonnie simply disappeared off the face of the Earth. This kick started her career in forensic sculpting and she began helping other families who had lost children bring them home finally. So, this is essentially the conclusion to a 14 book series that I’ve read from the very beginning and loved. I had a lot riding on Iris Johansen being able to pull this off in making it feel the series came full circle and I wasn’t left with any nagging questions. I’m thinking I set the bar too high.

The writing seemed a bit too literal, especially since it’s such a long term series it seemed as if she was writing so that someone could jump into the series at any point and completely understand what was going on. I think people need to just read from the beginning so the author isn’t making statements like this:

”You’ve been trained in police sketching as part of your training, Eve.”

No shit? Trained as part of her training? Redundant much?

Bottom line, the constant repeating of everything that was gone over millions of times already was irritating. And I swear, the last 50 pages from the previous book were pasted at the beginning of this one. I appreciate the refresher but seriously?

The Ending
This is going to be one ginormous spoiler but I HAVE to say it.
(view spoiler)

I have nothing more to say, but even if I did I don’t feel like wasting my time on this series anymore. It’s over, the big finale has been read after so many years of waiting, and I’m one seriously disappointed reader.
24 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bonnie.

10/18/2011 "There are no words to describe how excited I am right now."
10/18/2011 "But why does my hardcover copy only have 373 pages and Goodreads says I'm supposed to have 416? Weirdness."
10/18/2011
18.0% "Didn't need the 60+ page refresher, but okay. Can we get on with the story?"
10/18/2011
34.0% "I think I set the bar far too high. It's not meeting my expectations."
10/18/2011
40.0% "I'm giving up for the night.. Sigh"

Phyllis I agree with you 100%!!!!! I was totally ticked off with the ending as well and I have read all of the books also.

Bonnie This was such a huge disappointment for me I'm still in shock. lol

Kerry I thought it was just me. When I was reading the beginning of this book I thought I was listening to Quinn again by accident. SO MUCH sounded familiar like I had read it before. Glad it wasn't just me.

Bonnie Nope, not just you. Really quite a shame though.

message 5: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Thank you so much for this spoiler, you just saved me many hours and dollars! I will not be reading Quinn or Bonnie.

Bonnie I wish someone had saved me from having to suffer through this. Hahaha I so wish there had been a better ending!

Madelyn Farrell I was so mad I wasted my time. By the time Iris ended the series of looking for Bonnie I was sick of "my Bonnie" anyway. What an ending. It was so bad I wonder if Iris wrote it herself!

Bonnie I don't think I've ever been so disappointed by a book in my life. But I do agree... I got a bit sick of Bonnie by the end too. She really drew that series out way too long.

Laura (Kyahgirl) I'm so glad I gave up on this series. I was contemplating reading this last trilogy but I know I'll just end up irritated and disappointed. thanks for the review.

Bonnie Thanks, Laura.

Eileen Dilbeck STRUGGLING through this one now...glad I read the spoiler, that way if I don't finish, at least I'll have "closure". THANKS!!! I agree with you 100%

Bonnie Thanks, Eileen. :)

message 13: by Tony (new)

Tony I have just finished 'Eve' and was ticked off at the ending, won't read 'Quinn' and would have ended 'Bonnie' this way, some character ages might need a little tweaking to make this work, not sure, timeline hard to track without writing it down.

Uncle saves Bonnie; Bonnie doesn't die, but is raised by Judy's Mom as her own. Judy goes to work for John Gallo, John knows that "Judy" is really 'Bonnie', and that Cara is his grandchild.

Eve and her Joe die in a airplane crash on their way to their European Honeymoon, and never find out the 'real' truth. Thier spirits start to look for Bonnie as soon as they realize they are dead... but don't find her in the spirit world... tee heee hmmmmm?

Ta Da... Tony's Linda version of the ending.

message 14: by Kaylenamarie (new)

Kaylenamarie I don't understand why Iris would insult her readers so much with this type of ending. She could have done so much more with it all. And the fact that Eve seemed "okay" with it, just doesn't really fall in with her character. It's been a while since I've read this series so my memory of things are a bit sketchy. But she seemed much to determined to just "accept" that that's what happened to her daughter. I would have expected a reaction similar to Linda Howard's Cry No More heroine. Such a disappointment and no better than flipping the bird at all of her readers for all the money spent on her books and hours reading. Bad Form Iris, very bad.