Jessa's Reviews > The Glass Castle

5141983
Apr 13, 12

bookshelves: biography-memoir, favorites
Read in April, 2012

What a beautiful and captivating story. I found myself amazed, disgusted, angered, and laughing at everything in this memoir. So well-written and so matter-of-fact for such a disturbing and outrageous story.

Jeannette Walls' memoir begins with a story from when she was around three and cooking hotdogs for herself, a common occurrence, when her dress caught on fire and she was badly burned and taken to the hospital where her parents thought she didn't belong there, though the girl had skin grafts. The stories of Jeannette Walls life and those of her brother and sisters have similar moments of neglect and how the children survived and sometimes thrived despite their parents and sometimes because of them. It is amazing how parents who love their kids so much can abuse them and set them up for failure.

This story is amazing and you should read it to learn survival, self-sufficiency, intelligence, and pluck can conquer all, even too much love and not enough parenting. It makes all the issues and grievances I ever had against my parents seem petty.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Glass Castle.

04/12/2012 page 144

EstaAmeliaR Loved this!

Jessa ღEstaღ wrote: "Loved this!"

I'm half-way through and and so in love with how well it is written and how insane her parents are. I'm addicted, it will be done tonight it is this good