Roy's Reviews > Holes

Holes by Louis Sachar

811952
May 07, 2016

Read from January 22 to February 05, 2012

Fantastic! Below is what I wrote after seeing the movie. This is my review after reading the book aloud to my daughter. Afterwards we watched the movie adaptation and I noticed that much of the dialogue was taken verbatim from the book. The author must have also written the screenplay and made the bare minimum of changes, I thought. I was right. Great book. Excellent movie. Fantastic story. Holes is the gold standard of Young Adult fiction IMHO.

I have not read this book but did see and was quite impressed by the movie, which based on reviews I've read here is a pretty faithful adaptation of the book. When it comes to ficion that is aimed at teens but also holds appeal for those who have logged a few more miles in life, I'll take storymaking like that found in Holes over that of the Harry Potter series (which I've only read the first book of and watched about 2-1/2 of the movies) seven days out of seven in the week. There is a magical element to Holes just as there obviously is to the Potter stories, but in Holes there's only a layer of fantasy added to a mostly realistic tale rather than fantastasical elements at every twist and turn. The former is how I prefer my fiction regardless of what age range it is geared towards. Even if I never read Holes, based on the movie I'd certainly recommend it to my daugther years from now when she's old enough. I don't know if I'd necessarily say that about the Potter series, not that I didn't find the HP book I did read relatively enjoyable.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Holes.

05/07 marked as: read

message 1: by Danelle (new)

Danelle I probably won't end up reading Holes, because i watched the movie, but I get what you mean. I hope you enjoy it and I can't wait to see how you liked it overall when you're finished reading it.

Tansal I haven't seen the movie yet, but I loved this book as much as you did. Not a word is wasted or out of place.

message 3: by Roy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Roy Update: My daughter eventually joined the gazillions who adore all things Harry Potter. I also enjoy Rowling's imaginative series. But this doesn't alter the fact that Holes is a stand-alone classic and one of my favorite stories, even if not the type of tale one can base a theme park on.

message 4: by Mikhail Kruk (new)

Mikhail Kruk it's not "dirtbag" it's "barfbag" !!!