Minli's Reviews > Wrapped

Mar 18, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: historical, young-adult
Read on March 17, 2011

Agnes Wilkins is a wealthy debutante in Regency England who speaks ten languages (and counting) and has a bit of a geeky streak. Bluestocking? Sign me up! She goes to the handsome Lord Showalter's "unwrapping" party (the grotesque practice of pirating mummies out of Egyptian pyramids and unwrapping them at upper class social gatherings) and decides to nick something small--just for kicks--only to uncover a scheme bigger than she could have imagined. I love this time period, and stories about the pampered rich girl who wants to do something more with her life is a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine. I also really liked the romantic lead.

However, this book breaks little new ground and was ultimately a bit... predictable. Wrapped a fun, breezy read, and Bradbury's writing is so easy to like, but I'm not sure it'll stick with me over time. I was a bit fascinated by Agnes's politics and wanted to know why she believed The British Museum essentially does a bad thing in 'stealing' historical treasures from other countries, especially as the dashing and equally geeky Caedmon (who works as a kind of curatorial assistant at the museum) holds a strong oppositional view. But alas, it was not much delved into.

I am so intrigued by this cover--design team seems to have chosen to go with a graphic novel/illustrated route--I wonder what's up with that? There are no pictures in this book, FYI.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wrapped.

message 1: by Tatiana (new) - added it

Tatiana I tried reading this, but couldn't read more than 2 chapters. The book is not really bad, just... bland. Too bad, I like a good historical story. And mummies.

Minli The ingredients were all there, but the flavour was... bland, yes. This is my favourite *kind* of story, and I wish it was better.