Bill's Reviews > Wings Of Fire

Wings Of Fire by Charles Todd

Mar 29, 11

Read from March 17 to 29, 2011

I was less than impressed with Todd's first Ian Rutledge mystery, primarily because his resolution (and the identity of the killer) came quite literally from nowhere. But Todd seems to have hit his stride with his sophomore entry.

Rutledge is still on the outs - to put it mildly - with his superior in Scotland Yard, and is sent by him to fulfill a request made by an influential family in Cornwall. Were a series of recent deaths accidental or suicide? Everyone seems to think that they were one or the other, but the more Rutledge finds out the more he becomes convinced that the truth is quite different - and far more sinister - than what the Yard and the locals believe. Unlike the previous novel, the solution to this mystery is completely logical - but there are a lot of false leads and convolutions that didn't let me guess the truth until very close to the end.

Rutledge's "alter ego" - Hamish, the Scotsman he had to have shot for cowardice during World War I, and who now "lives" inside Rutledge's head - is somewhat less annoying than in the first entry in this series, but in his way he assists Rutledge in arriving at the truth.

I am definitely looking forward to reading more novels in this series, but I wish that Todd would get rid of Bowles, Rutledge's idiot of a superior officer. The man seems to serve no purpose other than to set up the conditions for Rutledge to travel to the scene of the crime, and his personality is nothing short of a pompous ass.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wings Of Fire.