Wendy F's Reviews > Quintana of Charyn

4019599
Oct 12, 12

bookshelves: 2012, my-lovers, melina-marchetta, fantasy, favorites
Read from October 09 to 12, 2012

I'm wracking my brain to think of something new I can say about this author... and I'm at a loss. It was so good, and I'm so content that I really don't have much of a review in me. Does it count if I just sit here and type 'read it' over and over? How about if I just go FroiFroiFroiFroiFroi?

Quintana of Charyn was incredible, and worth every moment of anticipation I felt while waiting for it's release. I love The Land of Skuldenore. I'm going to miss Finn, Isaboe, Trevanion, Beatriss, Lucien, Phaedra, Perri, Tessadora, Gargarin, Lirah, Arjuro and De Lancey... even the secondary characters like Harker, Rafuel, Cora, Jorja... Kasabien but especially Froi and Quintana. How amazing those two were, such very special characters. I'm in awe that Melina is able to write people who feel so real, who you can't help but feel for and relate to.

Well paced, haunting, beautifully written. This is one spectacular book written by a brilliant writer. What will she do next? I wonder what happened to Jehr... spin-off anyone? How awesome would that be? A Yutlind Sud book! :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quintana of Charyn.

Quotes Wendy F Liked

Melina Marchetta
“Our bodies aren't strangers,' he said, his voice ragged. 'Our spirits aren't strangers'. He held her face in his hands. 'Tell me what part of me is stranger to you and I'll destroy that part of me.'
And she wept to hear his words.”

Melina Marchetta
“Do you love me?’ he asked instead. ‘Because if you don’t, I’d wait until you did. I’d wait weeks and months and years.”

Melina Marchetta
“Froi saw the rage in Arjuro’s eyes, his clenched fists.

‘If I could find the men who did those things to you as a child I would tear them limb from limb.’

Froi embraced him.

‘One day,’ Froi said, clearing his voice of emotion, ‘I’ll introduce you to my queen and my king and my captain; and Lord August and Lady Abian, who have given me a home; and the Priestking and Perri and Tesadora and my friend Lucian; and then you’ll understand that I would never have met them if you hadn’t journeyed to Sarnak all those years ago, Arjuro. And if the gods were to give me a choice between living a better life, having not met them, or a wretched life with the slightest chance of crossing their path, then I'd pick the wretched life over and over again.’

He kissed Arjuro’s brow. Finnikin called it a blessing between two male blood kin. It always had made Froi ache seeing it between Finnikin and Trevanion.

‘I'd live it again just to have crossed all of your paths. Keep safe, Arjuro. Keep safe so I can bring your brother home to you.”

Melina Marchetta
“You said to me once that you weren’t what I dreamed of. You were right. You surpass everything I dreamed of. Even the rot in you that’s caused you to do shameful things. Some men let the rot and guilt fester into something ugly beyond words. Few men can turn it into worth and substance. If you’re gods’ blessed for no other reason, it’s for that.”

Melina Marchetta
“Do I have to be here to belong to you?' Froi asked. 'Can't I belong to you wherever I am?”

Melina Marchetta
“What if she's all I give you in this life of ours, my love?" she asked quietly.
"Then I'll shout at the goddess in fury," he said fiercely. "I'll beg to know why I've been given so much when other men have so little.”

Melina Marchetta
“then she was laughing. They both were, and the savage teeth were the most joyous sight Phaedra had seen for a long time. It was as if they were dancing. There it was. Suddenly the strangeness of Quintana of Charyn's face made sense. Because it was a face meant for laughing, but it had never been given a chance.”

Melina Marchetta
“You were never able to break her. She is the stone of this kingdom.”

10/10/2012 page 153
29.0% "So disappointed in ones I loved..."
10/12/2012 page 297
57.0% "Poor Phaedra! Lu-cien, when will you you see the light?!"
10/12/2012 page 411
79.0% "Nooooo! SO CLOSE!!! My heart is broken!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Isamlq woohoo!

Wendy F Isa, I'm dying! How long until (view spoiler)?! And did you have a hard time with Isaboe? I mean, (view spoiler)!

message 3: by Isamlq (last edited Oct 10, 2012 10:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Isamlq Wendy F wrote: "Isa, I'm dying! How long until [spoilers removed]?! And did you have a hard time with Isaboe? I mean, [spoilers removed]!"

Wendy!!!

Are you sure??

On spoiler #1 (view spoiler)

On spoiler #2 (view spoiler)

Wendy F I'm SURE, it's killing me, lmfao!

HUGE spoiler, combining them both, hahaha. (view spoiler)!

Rant over... for now. I may be contacting you throughout reading this because nobody else I know is done with it, hahaha.

message 5: by Isamlq (last edited Oct 10, 2012 10:40AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Isamlq Wendy F wrote: "I'm SURE, it's killing me, lmfao!

HUGE spoiler, combining them both, hahaha. [spoilers removed]!

Her characters are wonderful! I loved them, I hated them, then went back to loving them...

(view spoiler)

I wish I could reread this but darn this week! (it's a killer.)

I'm going to be stalking your updates!

Wendy F I love all her characters too! LOL, it's her strongest skill as a writer, characters and character relationships.

(view spoiler)! It's really getting good now!

Wendy F It was so amazing!

message 10: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom These epic fantasies are so hard to review. You don't want to give away too much to those awaiting to read it and you certainly can't justify how good it is or explain what its about without going all the way back to Finnikin of the Rock or at least Froi of the Exiles. I was so hyped for this and it didn't disappoint in the least.

message 11: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom (view spoiler)

Wendy F Yes, they are so hard to review! Trying to type out something worthy would mean that I'm giving away secrets, and if it doesn't have spoilers than it's disjointed. Tough to review, hahaha.

(view spoiler).

Thanks for stopping by and posting too! I love chatting about these books! :)

message 13: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom (view spoiler)

Wendy F Don't even worry, I could talk about it all day, haha. I have my friend reading them now just so I can talk about it more!

(view spoiler).

message 15: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

message 16: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom What was your favorite book of the series??

message 17: by Wendy F (last edited Oct 17, 2012 07:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

message 18: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

message 20: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

message 21: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

message 23: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom (view spoiler)

Wendy F LMAO! (view spoiler).

message 25: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

message 26: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Did you see the Us cover for Quintana?? I think I like the Aussie cover bettter. I can see what Froi would see in the us cover Quintana but I like the savage look of the Aussie cover.

Wendy F (view spoiler)

I did see the US version of Quintana. I don't like it. The spear makes her nose look flat and funky. Yeah the eyes look a lot like Quintana but I really like the Princess Indignant photo on the Aussie cover.

(I'll own both though. I have paper and hardback of Finn and Froi, lol. Jellicoe Road, too. I'm a tad obsessive about my favorite books. Hahahaha)

message 28: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Well i think we covered all the bases, it was fun...haha

Wendy F LOL! Yep, pretty much! Thanks for stopping by to chat.

Sandra Clearly it met your expectations. LOL!. I'm sorry that the Lumater Chronicles is not in Kindle yet because I wanted to give it a shot :(

Wendy F Oh that stinks! Finnikin of the Rock isn't either?

message 32: by Sandra (last edited Oct 20, 2012 12:20AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sandra None of them, I'm afraid. That's why I haven't picked them yet, after looking at how much you enjoy them.

Wendy F That's such a bummer!

Sandra (Editing my last message because I surely am English language dislexic and forget things like -ed or 'not') *Sighs*

Sandra Wendy F wrote: "That's such a bummer!"

message 36: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Sandra wrote: "Wendy F wrote: "That's such a bummer!"
Yes, after seeing that I created my shelve for books not in Kindle. And I already have a bunch of them."

There is a free program called calibre that can convert. Epub to. Mobi and vice versa.

Sandra I have Calibre. But I'd like to have a legal ebook and if Amazon doesn't have a digital version what I'm guessing it's that the publisher only provides paperback. It's true that I've only searched on Amazon. Do you think there is any other ebook seller where I can buy Finnikin?

Wendy F I can get Finnikin of the Rock on Amazon for my Kindle, so perhaps it's just not set up for Spain yet.

I'm not quite sure how the copyright's work among the different countries. But Melina Marchetta is an Australian author so you don't see them as easily in other parts of the world.

message 39: by Sandra (last edited Oct 20, 2012 10:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sandra I appreciate you checked it out, Wendy. Thank you. I followed the link and it is indeed not sold to European countries. Paperback and hardcover yes, but ebook no. I don't understand either why is that. The majority of the books I've checked out are available but there are a few that I'll have to wait for: no-kindle-edition.

message 40: by Shelley (new) - added it

Shelley Not sure why this is not an ebook yet??? Still waiting to get my hands on it!

Wendy F Melina Marchetta books are released in Australia first, and then about 6 months later here in the US.

I ordered mine in print from fishpondworld.com because just absolutely could not wait that long!

I know that netgalley had it up for an advance e-copy, not sure if they still do though.

message 42: by Shelley (new) - added it

Shelley OH cool, thanks!

message 43: by Shelley (new) - added it

Shelley Yes, this was SO good, and SO hard to review! As highly anticipated as it was, it exceeded my expectations!