Wendy F's Reviews > Froi of the Exiles

Oct 08, 2012

bookshelves: 2011, fantasy, favorites, melina-marchetta, my-lovers, 2012
Read from November 05, 2011 to October 08, 2012

Second Reading

Everything I said below is still 110% true! I should have touched on Phaedra/Lucien and Trevanian/Beatriss, because those stories were so beautiful! So other than those, and to shout once more 'I LOVE FROI!', I'll just leave you with some more quotes...

"So Quintana's not delusional in believing that everyone is out to kill her?"
Gargarin's eyes bored into Froi's. "You ask a lot of questions for an idiot." He said.
"Is that what they call me outside my province?"
"Emphatically. Olivier the idiot."
"I'm charmed, to say the very least. I've never had a title."

She went to say his name, but he held up a hand. He couldn't bear the word 'Olivier' coming from her lips. Not tonight.
"First I'm going to use my hands and then I'm going to use my mouth," He said, "And then you are going to teach me to be gentle and I'll show you that not all men share your bed because it's destined by the gods or written on the stone walls of this prison of yours. I've never had a lover and nor have you. So let's be the first for each other."
He caught her face between his hands and kissed her hard.

"See these seven, Jory," he asked, fury in his voice. "Well, imagine you were on one side of the stream hiding, while on the other side of the stream someone slaughtered your lads and cousins, right in front of you. And there was nothing you could do, Jory, because we were holding you down to stop you from being slain yourself."
Lucian then grabbed Phaedra.
"Lucian!" Yata warned.
"And see this woman, Jory," he said, turning Phaedra around gently and revealing the strange lettering on her neck. "This woman is just like our queen. Marked as a slave to do things we don't want to imagine happening to our own."
Lucian pulled Jory towards Phaedra. "Treat her as you would beloved Isaboe, Jory. Follow her everywhere she goes. Down the valley and across the stream. Everywhere. And if any man touches her, Mont or Charynite, you put a sword through his heart. Do you hear me?"

He revealed a scar, the scar on his chest received the year before when one of the traitors attacked. She stared at it and then shrugged and showed him an even more impressive scar on her upper thigh.
"Clumsy girl," he reproached, reaching out to touch it. She gripped his fingers and twisted them, nearly breaking one.
"Let go or you'll force me to say ouch," he said, calmly.

First Reading - 11-11-11 (cool!)

I had all these thoughts while reading this book, all these things I wanted to say about how this book was about more than Hope. It was about War and Hatred and the effect that it can have.

All these plans and quotes and points that I just can't even put into words. But this is the magic of Melina Marchetta. She just rocks you and all rational thought just seems to disappear. I'm at a loss.

The characters in this book were all so amazing, but it's no surprise. Characters and relationships seems to be the cherry on top of this authors talent. Quintana/Reginita was such an enchanting character. She's as strong as Isaboe even though you feel her vulnerabilty. And Froi! I just knew that he was meant for greatness. His role just stuck out too much in Finnikin of the Rock. Even then I fink he was my most favorite character!

The one downside is that this book ends in a cliffhanger, and ugh, I was so hoping that it wouldn't. Finnikin didn't, and I would have loved to have had a little bit more closure in this installment.

Regardless, it's another smash hit for Melina. I'm dying for Quintana of Charyn.
8 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Froi of the Exiles.

Quotes Wendy F Liked

Melina Marchetta
“Near the window, Finnikin stood with both hands against the wall, his head bent over her. As always, the intimacy between them made Froi ache.

"I promise you," Finnikin said. "I've already shouted at her and used a very, very reprimanding tone."

"I was quivering," the Queen said, stepping out from behind Finnikin.”

Melina Marchetta
“If he goes for my nose again, I fink I'll hang him up by his little balls,' one of the Guard said, getting to his feet. Froi tried to ignore the mockery.

'Nothing little about me,' he grunted. 'Don't take my word for it, Hindley. Ask your wife. She seemed happy last night, you know, with the size and all.”

Melina Marchetta
“If we forget who we lost, then we forget who we once were, and if we forget who we once were, we lose sight of who we are now.”

Melina Marchetta
“Are you an idiot, or an idiot?' Gargarin hissed.

'The first one. I really resent being called the second.”

Melina Marchetta
“I've been waiting for you all night and day,' she said.
Froi shivered. He realised that the words came from Quintana the ice maiden. Realised, as he felt his face heating up, that the idea of this Quintana waiting for him with excitement spoke to parts of him he believed to be dormant. And then she winked.
'Did I do that right?' she asked. Her smile was lopsided and he saw a glimpse of the teeth.
And Froi imagined that he would follow her to the ends of the earth.”

Melina Marchetta
“What are you doing?" she asked, trying to raise herself.

"First, I thought I'd show you what a pity it would be if they cut off my wicked tongue.”
tags: humor

Melina Marchetta
“I don't despise you for what you allowed to happen to me. I despise you because when I was released, you refused to be found and I needed you more than anything in my life. Not to mend my broken bones, Arjuro. I needed my brother to mend my broken spirit.”

Melina Marchetta
“Arjuro made a scoffing sound. ‘You think Lumatere will invade because of you? Are you that important?’

Froi looked away. ‘Isaboe would invade if you kidnapped a servant, let alone a friend.’

‘Isaboe? We’re on first-name terms with the Queen of Lumatere, are we?’ Gargarin asked.

Froi found himself bristling. ‘What? Do you think I’m some cutthroat for hire who they found hanging around the palace walls with the words “I want
to kill a Charynite King” tattooed on my arse?”

Melina Marchetta
“He took her face in his bloody hands. "I’ll come and find you wherever you are. I’ll not stop breathing until I do. So you’re going to have to promise me that you won’t lose hope. That you will keep yourself alive.”

Melina Marchetta
“Sometimes... sometimes keeping alive is too tiring," she whispered, wringing her hands. Before he knew what he was doing, he pressed his lips against her brow. "Don't ever say that. Ever.”

Melina Marchetta
“He knew he should have counted. It was the rule to count to ten in his head before he opened his mouth. It was the rule to count to ten if he wanted to smash a man in the face for saying something he didn't like. It was the rule to count to ten if instinct wasn't needed, but common sense was.”

11/06/2011 page 34
11/07/2011 page 101
17.0% "I'm already so sad for Quintana... what a horrible life. Marchetta has described her physically as I would imagine a woman living like that would like."
11/08/2011 page 204
34.0% "I knew that Froi would be amazing. He's moving up the list of my Marchetta favorite men."
show 4 hidden updates…

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Aha! Another cliff hanger hater. That sucked!

Wendy F It did suck! I hope it doesn't take too long!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Wendy I had like 10 pages left and I kept thinking boy she better resolve things here because the book is almost over but she NEVER did! Now we have to wait forever for the next book!

Wendy F I know! I admit tht I fought reading the end of the book because I was so nervous that things wouldn't be resolved.

Sandra And how long until LC #3 there? Is is the last to go?

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Sandra #3 is out right now

message 7: by Wendy F (last edited Oct 10, 2012 06:40AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wendy F Like Heidi said, Quintana is out now but you have to order from fishpond.com straight from Australia (shipping is free). I'm not sure when you can get it in Spain... I'm actually starting it today, I've been so excited! Oh, and yeah it's the last one in the trilogy, so it's complete.

message 8: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom I really should have done a reread before Quintana. That was my plan but then I got into a series and it was cliffy and 5 books!! By the time I was done I just really wanted read Quintana. Froi was my favorite book but i think Quintana surpassed it for me. I love getting into the heads of my characters and I feel there was more of that in Quintana. I plan on rereading the two books back to back and decide at that point. Both Epic books.

Wendy F I am a big rereader of books. I did the same with Harry Potter. Before Froi was released I reread Finnikin, and before Quintana was released I reread both Finnikin and Froi, lol. I want the full experience each time.